Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoweek.com is reporting that the new, upcoming entry level BMW (the 1 Series) is going to challenge the Accord and Camry by starting in the mid-$20s.

According to the article we will only be getting the 4-door sedan variant in the U.S. There are several rumored variations including a hatch...but hatches don't sell well to Americans.

More info.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
well at least they're considering using 6 cylinders. all of the reports i had read up till this indicated that the base 1 series would be around 25K and powered by a weak 115hp 4 banger.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
looks like bangle didn't get his hands too deeply into this project.

Has anyone else noticed that while everyone seems to crap themselves over BMW's engines, Ford engines of identical displacement match their horsepower and TROUNCE them in terms of torque, both in absolute terms and in overall shape of the curve?

Yes, i've driven my fair share of both late model bimmers and fords. And the 'silky smoothness', well eh, i'll trade it for a duratec v6's torque.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
looks like bangle didn't get his hands too deeply into this project.

Has anyone else noticed that while everyone seems to crap themselves over BMW's engines, Ford engines of identical displacement match their horsepower and TROUNCE them in terms of torque, both in absolute terms and in overall shape of the curve?

Yes, i've driven my fair share of both late model bimmers and fords. And the 'silky smoothness', well eh, i'll trade it for a duratec v6's torque.
ive noticed that too, but having a 325 in the family, i can attest to that engine. not only is it smooth, but as some magazine said once before, BMW has some amazing way of making its engines feel much more powerful than they are.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
But the 1 series is going to be alot smaller than the Accord. I mean, 1 Series should be like Civic sized, with an Accord price.

·
Registered
744 Posts
But the 1 series is going to be alot smaller than the Accord. I mean, 1 Series should be like Civic sized, with an Accord price.
are we talkin the size of the old 318's?

·
Registered
215 Posts
That coupe is sharp looking, IMHO. The hatch is not as aesthetically sp? pleasing as the Focus, though. Also, I gather these cars will be RWD, that itself may dampen sales.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
That coupe is sharp looking, IMHO. The hatch is not as aesthetically sp? pleasing as the Focus, though. Also, I gather these cars will be RWD, that itself may dampen sales.
Why would it dampen sales RWD? I would think it would help sales, I would rather have a RWD focus then a FWD.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Does this mean I can buy an M1??

·
Registered
227 Posts
what does this mean????
It won't be cheap
I thought the point was for it to be more affordable???
There's a difference between being cheap and being affordable. My hope is that "mid" means starting at $24k, though that's optimistic, I suppose. I am definitely anticipating this; I hope it's not a porker.

As far as RWD dampening sales, if anything it's a differentiator. It has almost no competition (we'll see what Chrysler brings by then). It's just like how I've said before with regards to the sport compact market - the first one who does it will have a monopoly on that particular niche. Not enough of one to justify removing the fleet vehicle (high depreciation) status and "Ma and Pa Boring" appeal of, say, a Focus. But more than enough for a smaller market model, like the Celica. Or a BMW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts