Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some car show coverage on speed and they were showing a new thing from BMW. The headlights actually turn with with the steering wheel slightly. Kind of cool how they were showing how it worked.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Ford had this in development I think. It will change the beam when you make turns to illuminate the areas that need it. I also think the new Lexus SUV has this feature.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Damn, I wish I would have invented them when I thought of this idea when I was 8.

- Drew

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by focusownerskid:
Damn, I wish I would have invented them when I thought of this idea when I was 8.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wouldn't have mattered. The 1947-48 Tucker's had a center mounted headlight that turned with the steering wheel.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Nifty. I assumed it had already been done in the past.

What did they do? Just hook a wire up tot he lights from the wheel?

- Drew

·
Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by FriendlyFocus:
I think it was cable and pulley driven on the tucker. Very technological hehe
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that is what i was thinking about, didn't Tucker come up with this idea a long time ago, but for BMW i was reading that the headlights themselves don't actually move it is just that there are so many different bulbs and reflectors, that when you turn some of the reflectors move around to pretty much aim the headlights around a curve

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
some big old american boats from the 70's or 80's had something similar, where there is like a second headlight on each side of the car that faces off to the side and lights up when the car goes around a turn.

but yeah the new turning headlight thing is showing up on a few new vehicles. along with laser(or is it radar?) controlled cruise control. that's pretty cool

·
Registered
584 Posts
.....when I was 8.

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So, was that last year or the year before?

304 Posts
the new porsche cayenne has lights that shoot at the corner you are entering once you start turning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by MP5A4_HK:
Personally i think this idea is as stupid as putting wipers on the headlights......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And yet you drive manumatic

My car has headlight washers and wipers (Saab 900S).
I like them. Every time I spray and wipe the windshield headlights get sprayed and wiped.
The thinking is that if your windshield needs washing so do the headlights. Why wouldn't you want your headlights clean when driving at night?
It also turns on front side markers when you put it in reverse, just so you can see all around the car, not just behind you.
It doesn't have turning headlights though. I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You morons........everybody knows that Speed Racer had full turning headlights on the Mach V

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

- Drew
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Datsun had then on the Fairlady Z back in the 70's. I had them on mine when I was in Okinawa.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Also the 2004 Lexus RX330 will have the turning headlights as an option.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
a lincoln that I rented a while back would shoot some light to the side but only when you used your turn signal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts