Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It Broke, just wanted to let everyone who has one that they should check them out. I did today and the bottom bracket was broken and the top one was cracked and bent. So know I have the stock intake back on. Oh well. Might try to weld some stronger brackets one day.

---Herb---

·
Registered
134 Posts
hoe long have you had it? do you have or could you take a pic of where it broke? has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanx for letting us know. Pics would be great. I'm considering getting this intake as well. Is the OBX intake also an AEM knock-off??

·
Registered
420 Posts
Haha my support broke too.
I've got it held with the duct tape for now and I'm just gonna weld the bracket back on. Just make sure you check your welds prior to installation and if they're weak (my guess is all of them will be), make sure you beef them up.

Ya.
I still don't regret it. It saved me $200 so I think it's worth it.

-jesse

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine still works great and the welds are holding strong. I've flown over train tracks, bumpy roads, speed humps and gotten the front end off the ground (whoops
) and it's held up.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmm sounds as if the AEM name isnt crap after all.

I have the aem, but i bought it used, thats the only reason i could afford to pay for an AEM...I wouldve bought the BOMZ anyway if new though i suppose....

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hey Herb,

I have 3 welders out here, if you wanna try to fix it, Im sure we can come up with something,

BJ

·
Registered
402 Posts
i voided it all and made my own out of Fibre glass. just as strong and lighter then aluminim. next try im making it out of carbon fibre.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i voided it all and made my own out of Fibre glass. just as strong and lighter then aluminim. next try im making it out of carbon fibre.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys no pics. I've had it for about a month. Acutally it did not break at the weld, it broke about a 1/2" after the weld and the other one is twisted and ready to break.

---Herb---

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 1st AEM I had broke at the upper and lower mounting points during a hard down shift. I did not have any problems with the 2nd AEM that I had.
AEM spends alot lot of time on R&D for there parts, hence the high prices. Then other company's come along and copy it, with less or no overhead, and sell it cheaper.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by CasperSE+:
Hey Herb,

I have 3 welders out here, if you wanna try to fix it, Im sure we can come up with something,

BJ
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I will realy have to take you up on that when I get some time. Car feels totally different with out it. I was thinking about changing the brackets, looks like it broke cause of the aluminum and the mounting points. Thanks BJ

---Herb---

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had mine welded and while the second weld ended up being a bit messy because it wouldn't stick to the original weld, it has held through 2 days of very rough driving.

A+ to the Bomz CAI from me again.

-jesse

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sorry and I don't mean to offend anyone...but I would never buy something by a manufacturer named "Bomz" or "YoDude" ...

That's just me though...appereances aren't everything I know...but they sure play an important part.

-AM

·
Registered
420 Posts
That's cool if you're willing to spend $200 more for a name but there are alot of us out there who are happy to get the same performance bennefits from a generic part.

-jesse

·
Registered
131 Posts
True enough...although apparently you'll be spending more time and money keeping that generic part running as well as a one time cost for a proven quality part.

Yes I know there are exceptions, a good friend of mine has the AEM intake and it's given him a few problems...but I think that's because he installed it wrong (that's what he's being told anyway).

I don't know...I just like to go with what's proven...spend that extra umph just to ensure that I don't spend more later on keeping it in good condition.

But what do I know...for all I know Yo Dude probably outclasses HKS by leagues...and Bomz just blows away the competition (no pun intended)

-AM

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bet you that the amount of money I'll have spent over the life of this intake will be less than the cost of a new AEM...

-jesse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts