Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow. what can i say. this was a very very good product!!! the bomz cai has quality fit and finish, as well as value for your money!!! i bought this one on ebay for $85 from "racesonic".

the install went well and pretty straight-forward. i had to buy one 1/4"-20 nut for the vibration rubber. the maf fit perfectly and i had to use a torx-20 bit to remove/install it. install was good, just have to take off that heavy battery and few bolts!

power hits hard from idle all the way up to redline (until fuel cut-off). on the highway above 80mph, the powerband is smoother and more linear (compared to my previous setup with the short ram) just until i feel like hitting that throttle harder it just wants go and go. excellent!!

overall i rate the bomz cai a 92% because it didnt come with a nut (which i had to buy for 19c) and instructions. well ok i didnt need it, but it still would be nice to have! grr!!

anyway, i'm very very happy and pleased with this cai, it has quality and peace of mind as well as value for your money! if you don't have one yet, i recommend u get one!!

i will post more pics later!
all questions/criticisms/suggestions are welcomed!

have a nice day!

everything came in one box, but no instructions!

half way thru the install

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks nice man, glad to hear that something that cheap from ebay is a quality product. But are you going to get/need a bypass? Looks good though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This intake has the very same design of an AEM.Right??? I have a short ram and been looking to get a CAI... What about the water issues? Does it really suck water... What is the truth about CAI's on the Focus??

·
Registered
42 Posts
nice i just put the same exact one cai on mines.... but havent been able to run it yet due to a little trouble with my t-belt snappin... i didnt hafta take out my battery for install though.. its straight though... why spend near $300 when you can get the same thing for next ta nuthin??? maybe someone should contact AEM and tell them about theirselfs

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hey chris, I know you got that Ebay strut too, does it clear the intake?

I got the AEM cai and I got rid of my FS strut cause it was blue on a sangria red car

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not sure if i need a bypass, this is my first cai...it doesnt rain much in socal, but should i get one anyway? what if it doesnt fit?

as for the strut, it clears perfectly!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by jboxer:
where you running the blue line coming from the
valve cover to.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">jboxer that blue line runs from that crankcase vent (if thats what it's called) to the second piping at the bottom, which has a provision for it.

can someone tell why is this important, because i see some ppl with a 'mini-filter' on that piece...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good post, now I can't wait till I get mine tomorrow. It actually looks better in your pick than on ebay. I got mine from the same guy.

---Herb---

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
woo-hoo! Thanks chris!

that crank case thingy is to release pressure built up inside the engine. If you block it off you can blow your gasket

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by ViLFernando:
This intake has the very same design of an AEM.Right??? I have a short ram and been looking to get a CAI... What about the water issues? Does it really suck water... What is the truth about CAI's on the Focus??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">remember this a big risk i'm taking here! it doesnt rain much in socal, but if it does, and if my cai becomes a problem, off it goes!!! if anyone has encountered any problems with a cai during the rainy seasons let me know please!! i hope the rain will not be a problem, it does get very misty during highway driving though...

·
Registered
733 Posts
We had major flooding around here a week ago about a foot of water on the ground and torrential rain never had a problemo....
just use your head and dont drive in deep water....

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I only have a "real" AEM because FocusSport had a used one for $100. It came with the bypass too.

I was thinking who needs a bypass in SoCal? Until it rained the other day...the end of my street was a river!!! Think about how many places get flooded when it rains where you drive and if there is a way around them.

Fortunatly it doesn't rain much out here, but then again when it does it tends to flood because our drainage system isn't all that great in a lot of LA. Having it there does make me feel better, and I'd at least consider it. I'll even help you hook it up!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by cherokee:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by chris_k:

half way thru the install
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got a question now ... when I installed the bracket by the coil packs, did you have a problem with the install ? I had originally installed it with the cushioned piece and I guess it popped back out.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes I did have trouble getting that bracket to fit maybe that was because i installed the second piping and the install got a little complicated (tight working space) but overall it fit real good w/o any problems. As i recall i used a 10mm nut, DO NOT overtighten. Tighten until firm. Mine never popped out or got loose. The fitment is good, I had it for about 5 months perfect. I took the Bomz off because I had to take the car to the dealership about my engine stalling problem and then didnt want to look at the car since i had an aftermarket intake. so i have not the time to put back into my car yet lazy me.

[ 04-22-2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
355 Posts
go to www.myfordfocus.com go to the how to section, they have a video on how to install the AEM CAI which is identical to that. its awesome

bypass valves are only 30 bucks extra i think we need the 20-401S or something like that, plus that extra filter people put inplace of the second piping is a breather filter, do a search on them if you want to know more.

[ 04-22-2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: 03zx3 ]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts