Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a ractive short ram, should i pay the 40-60 bucks for a chrome bomz cold air off of ebay. Is there anything else besides the welds that is a problem. I plan on getting the welds reinforced. And since i live in florida (rain) should i get a bypass valve. Is the filter that comes with the bomz chrome cold air ok?
And should i notice any difference in performance, and sound?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump
already used search, didnt find anything of use.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have the plan silver one and i found a small amount of gain on it. Not much but the most noticable thing was the sound it had a deeper grown. The weld on the bottom hanger cracked and thats where my problem happened... nothing a little steal straping didnt fix. But for the money its a deasent CAI. As for looks its ugly as a turd.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
IMHO, it's a pretty darn good intake for its price. I have the silver one and I have been satisfied with it so far. Despite the bottom bracket breaking off (AEM CAI's have that problem too), I'd recommend this intake to everyone...except the ones with FI.

That polished version seems like a very good deal. I'd rock it.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I have the polished version. Installed cheap, looks decent, bottom bracket will prbly break eventually... but all and all it was worth the $60. Love the sound, and did notice an increase over the stock air box.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The bottom bracket breaking is not an issue of poor welds. Its breaking because of excessive vibration. I "rebuilt" each mount with a 2 inch long bolt, 2 shock absorbor rubbers, and 4 fender washers. Sandwich the bracket between the two rubbers and fender washers, tighten down until the rubbers start to expand. This holds the mount securely, but allows much more flex than the cheap-o rubber mounts supplied with the CAI. I used one of the cheap-o mounts where the filter hanger attaches to the body. So I have three flex points instead of only two.

The cheap-o needs a 1/4-20 nut, flat & lock washer.

I forget the metric size of the threads where the upper mount screws into the coil bracket, I went to Pep Boys with the orginal screw and got a 2 inch long one to replace it with.

The lower CAI mount attaches to a factory hole under the radiator, use a 2 inch 1/4-20 bolt and hardware to make that mount.

So a quick Pep Boys parts list:

4 rubber shock absorbor mounts.
8 fender washers with a 1/4 hole.
3 ea 1/4-20 nuts, flat, lock washers.
1 2 inch 1/4-20 hex head bolt
1 2 inch metric bolt, same size as the one that holds the coil.

I also went to Lowes and replaced the coupler between the two pipes with a heavier 3 inch to 3 inch plumbing connector. It is black just like the 90 bend that comes off the TB, looks much nicer and holds the upper to lower pipe more securely.

I spent about $15 in extra hardware but my intake looks great and mounts much better than if I had used the supplied hardware.

I also bought a short ram intake to be used in winter/spring. I dont want to take any water chances and its cold enough in the winter months that the underhood air will still be plenty cold.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
4 rubber shock absorbor mounts.
8 fender washers with a 1/4 hole.
3 ea 1/4-20 nuts, flat, lock washers.
1 2 inch 1/4-20 hex head bolt
1 2 inch metric bolt, same size as the one that holds the coil.
do you per chance hav a part number on those rubber shock absorbers?

A lil hazy to me exactly what you mean.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Did anyone else have a prblem with the threads being wrong on the absorber that is supposed to mount the upper bracket to the coil pack bracket?

I just left it out... damn threads are course and the hole is machine.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
yes the threads were standard... whereas we require metric. The easiest solution is to just drill out the hole and find a nut to fit the threads.... and just attach with said nut!

·
Registered
144 Posts
The rubber shock absorbors are in the HELP section, 2 per package.

Here is how I did it. Working from the hex part of the bolt on the upper mount.

1 fender washer
1 rubber absorbor
2 fender washers
1 rubber absorbor
1 fender washer

Screw the bolt into the coil bracket hole. (You must get the metric bolt. At Pep Boys they have a bin full of bolts. Just take the factory one out of the coil bracket and match it up with the same threads but 2 inches long).

Wedge the upper CAI mount in the middle of the two absorbors (between the 2 middle washers). Tighten down the bolt until the washers just start to expand.

Make the same setup for the lower mount, except there isnt a threaded hole to put the bolt into. You must use a flat washer, lock washer, and nut for the lower mount. The hole is already in the car.

Loosely connect the two tubes together and tighten down the lower mount till its tight enough so it doesnt fall off.

Loosely mount the air filter on the end of the tube with the supplied supporting bracket. There is also a hole in the car for the bracket to bolt to. Use one of the supplied rubber shock isolators to mount the air filter bracket to the car body. Take the supplied rubber isolator to the store with you so you can get washers and nuts.

After everything is mounted and adjusted properly, start at the TB, and working down, tighten up all bolts/hose clamps. Tighten up the shock mounts until the rubbers compress to about 2/3's thier orginal thickness.

I had to make minor adjustments for a couple days until I got everything just right.

Dont try and skip the fender washers, it will not work. I bought the fender washers at Lowes, 4 per package. Everything else at Pepboys.

I bought the ebay polished CAI, it looks and functions great.

Remember that the engine moves under torque. If you tighten everything down so there is no flex, the welds will eventally break. They will crack on a $50 intake as easy as on a $200 intake. Dont over-tighten the mounts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have the polished version... works great, nice sound, there is a noticeable gain.. the mount did break however but it doesnt move without that mount on, so its all good...

anyways, id recomend it.. thats my 2 cents

Jeremy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts