Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have much money, but I want to improve my stock 2000 ZX3. I'm thinking of running a Bomz Racing Cold Air Intake System with a Pacesetter Monza Exhaust System. Any reasons why I shouldn't or should. Pro's and Con's please! Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
406 Posts
Do whatever you want/ can afford/ what looks good to you.. I guarantee you the majority of people that post after me are gonna bitch about "quality" and how there intake and exhaust is soooo much nicer.. IMHO HKS and Volant rule.. but thats just me...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Pacesetter cat-back and i like it alot.
As for intakes ,theres so many to pick from ,
go for one that fits your budget.Any aftermarket
one will be alot better then the stock intake.
Hope this helps.
D.Turner

·
Registered
112 Posts
i got a cold air intake off of e-bay for $52 . it works just fine>

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Aem cold air intake, and a thermal exhaust. I love thst exhaust it sounds different than amy other I've heard on the street. As far as air intakes they're all the same. I found a cai for like $130.00. It wasn't 50 stae legal but it's better than paying $300.00 for an aem. pm if u want the website

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just installed a Pacesetter and ran it 16 miles then removed it. Its nearly quiet as stock and the fit was bad. One of the bends is off on the front section causing it to rub on the heatshield. The rear hanger at the tip is welded on the wrong side causing it to pull the tip against the bumper(melting).I would recommend the Flowmaster cat-back for $182+shipping Part #17343 @ 1-800-276-6399 21st Century Exhaust. If you want to spend more go with YoDude/Trubendz.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by bugshack:
I just installed a Pacesetter and ran it 16 miles then removed it. Its nearly quiet as stock and the fit was bad. One of the bends is off on the front section causing it to rub on the heatshield. The rear hanger at the tip is welded on the wrong side causing it to pull the tip against the bumper(melting).I would recommend the Flowmaster cat-back for $182+shipping Part #17343 @ 1-800-276-6399 21st Century Exhaust. If you want to spend more go with YoDude/Trubendz.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Myself and a few other people I know who have it have had no problems

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'd agree with bugshack. Go for a yodude exhaust rather than pacesetter. As far as the intake goes, if you dont mind losing a little quality get that cheap one. The pacesetter is just too junky when you can get much better one for like $20 more.

·
Registered
210 Posts
[/QUOTE]Myself and a few other people I know who have it have had no problems
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Im not really putting down all pacesetter products. Ive got one on my Toyo PU that I like. Im just saying that the one for the ZX3 needs some help, fitment wise. Im currently in contact with their tech support and their looking into the problem. For those of you that say you had no problems, I ask did you install it yourself? If so I would like to see a photo of that tip and how it hangs?? If you had it installed by someone else I can assure you that it needed some extra fabrication to get it to fit right. One more word <Flowmaster>

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed the Pacesetter myself.I had no fitment
or quality problems at all.
Also the sound is far superior to stock exhaust!
Hey the Pacesetter surely is'nt the best exhaust.
But it is absolutely $179.00 well spent

Good luck with the choices you make

David Turner

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking you just got a bunk one. Mine was done by my father and I in my garage in about an hour and it fits awesome. Absolutely perfect. I'll admit, if you want an exhaust that sounds like a ricemobile or a copmagnet, this isn't it, but it does sound different. There's a deep drone from 2300-2900rpms and then again from 5000rpms and up.

Another thing, if the tip happens to be against the bumper, there is no way in hell it will melt the plastic, they don't get got at all. Ever.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do it bro
I'm going with K&N drop in filter with Pacesetter exhuast.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
magnaflow is only $300 and the fitment is perfect with stainless steel everything... great welds... great fit.

think... in a few months, will you look back and regret your decision? if so, save some more up. if not, (or you think) go for it

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I would suggest, if you're good at working things and want your car to look stealth under the hood, buying the SVT snorkel and fitting it to your airbox. All you have to do is cut a bigger hole, then if you want, you can take of the resonator and the plastic pieces off your old intake and put it off to the side. I don't know if anyone has dynoes this, but several people have done it, costs like $30 and it's just as good IMO. Right now I've got ton's of low end power w/a powerband that goes strong up to 6500rpm.

[ 03-14-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: RainyZX3 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts