Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sarosota Ford changed the oil in my brother's 2002 Sonic Blue SVT last week and they think overfilled it. Engine let go less than 2 miles from the dealership. He is supposed to leave for school in Tenn. this week. He will need to take the rental up there. Ford is refusing to replace the motor -they want the dealer to re-build the motor. My brother wants a new motor. On a side note my SVT has been in the shop for the past 14 days and I really want it back!!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
DUDE! That sucks.... DEMAND A New Motor. The reason you purchased an SVT over a stock focus is because of the SERVICE/Respect you get from owning and SVT. If they refuse Ask to talk to there SVT rep. if they still refuse Call Fords SVT department.

Out Tragic

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Geez!!!Not good to hear that a Ford dealership overfilled the oil to cause such damage to his motor plus it says right in the owners manual overfilling may cause damage so you would think they would check the level after completing the oil change
.The reason why Ford turned down the motor replacement is because it was dealership caused not a factory defect.Personally I would have the dealership replace the complete motor since rebuilding it is no guarantee that it will perform like it was designed to.Anyway sorry to hear about your problem with your SVTF and now your brothers.Keep us updated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sarosota Ford changed the oil in my brother's 2002 Sonic Blue SVT last week and they think overfilled it. Engine let go less than 2 miles from the dealership. He is supposed to leave for school in Tenn. this week. He will need to take the rental up there. Ford is refusing to replace the motor -they want the dealer to re-build the motor. My brother wants a new motor. On a side note my SVT has been in the shop for the past 14 days and I really want it back!!!!
They think <they> overfilled?? Can we have some facts? How much oil is considered "overfill"??? This is extremely suspect. Never have I heard of a motor blowing up because of an overfill. The crankshaft will drag on a high oil level. Hella...I ran a 1989 Mustang at idle for 30 plus minutes with NO OIL before It blew up.
NO [censored]. Now how in the hella...I have to raise the [censored] flag here mate!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I agree with madmax. I'd be more likely to believe they forgot to put oil in it or something.

Definitely demand a new motor. I heard of a case where something similar to this happened on a Harley Davidson F150. The guy got a lawyer, who got him a new crate motor plus a free 100k mile extended warranty, plus his lawyers fees.

Threaten them with a lawyer, but be read to actually get one if they call your bluff. But DEFINITELY DO NOT accept a rebuilt motor. Especially by a dealership that can't even perform a correct oil change.

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah i dont think they overfilled it, sounds like they didnt put any oil in or something (happened to my friends cobra one time, i think it might of been at an oil change place). I would definately tell him to demand a new motor and not a rebuilt one though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This isn't the first time I've heard the story of an engine blowing up within a couple miles after being overfilled with oil. A friend of mine said his Passat 1.8T blew up within a couple of miles after having the oil changed at Wal-Mart.

I believe he said he got a new engine--I suspect Wal-Mart paid for it.

FWIW...

·
Registered
993 Posts
damn, i wish I could get wal-mart to buy me a new engine

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - My brother went down to the dealer to demand a new motor. They called one hour later (this was yesterday) and told him there was no internal engine damage and the car would be ready for pick-up in 1 hour. How bout that! Remember THEY told him the motor was gone and the car had been towed to the dealer. He test drove it and it was fine. No explanation was given for the smoke and other symptoms. This is one very ODD happening. If the car continues to run well I guess no harm no foul but I find the entire situation to be strange. I think the dealer was up to something.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This happened on my ZX3. The dealer overfilled it and got about a mile and the car started to buck and smoke poured out the back. For some reason though they also had problems getting the oil filer on correctly, I had to take it back 4 times to get it right. This was for the first oil change (free) because of all my troubles; they gave me a card for another free oil change. I’ll be doing my own oil from now on. One thing I did though was to have the dealer document that the car got overfilled and had to come back repeated times for the oil filter, this way if I have any problems down the road with any seals leaking (overfilling this much causes very high oil pressure) there is a record of what might have happened.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
I am glad that it turned out to be ok now for your brother's motor on his SVTF.

Remember THEY told him the motor was gone and the car had been towed to the dealer. He test drove it and it was fine. No explanation was given for the smoke and other symptoms. This is one very ODD happening. If the car continues to run well I guess no harm no foul but I find the entire situation to be strange. I think the dealer was up to something.
Just make sure that your brother keeps the oil change receipt plus the reason for it being towed back in and what they did to repair it so that will at least show some proof should something occur after he drives the car for a bit.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Actually TOO MUCH OIL can be worse than none at all. If the crankshaft hits it, it foams. foamy oil = oil with bubbles. oil with bubbles = oil passageways can't get pressure. The opposite is also feasible if the crankshaft doesn't foam the oil: too much oil can cause too much oil pressure, leading to premature oil seal failure and other bad things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This isn't the first time I've heard the story of an engine blowing up within a couple miles after being overfilled with oil. A friend of mine said his Passat 1.8T blew up within a couple of miles after having the oil changed at Wal-Mart.

I believe he said he got a new engine--I suspect Wal-Mart paid for it.

FWIW...

Please sign up for AutoMechanics 101 at you local Community College.

Bull$hitt....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Actually TOO MUCH OIL can be worse than none at all. If the crankshaft hits it, it foams. foamy oil = oil with bubbles. oil with bubbles = oil passageways can't get pressure. The opposite is also feasible if the crankshaft doesn't foam the oil: too much oil can cause too much oil pressure, leading to premature oil seal failure and other bad things.

that is kind of like saying no pu$$y is better than some pu$$y...[censored]! Auto Mechanics 101 for you! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts