Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K i got a AEM CAI, and a BBK TB. IM not sure does any one know if the BBK is a 65mm or what,is seems alittle smaller than the FC?

Anways since i have those both, to get the most of of it ,can some explain a "how to-to bore out my stock intake manifold".

Also by boreing it out, will i notice anything from already have the BBK? and what increase fwhp will i see from it ,more prob. at top end right?

I JUST WANNA KNOW IF ITS WORTH TO BORE IT OUT,AND HOW EASY AND LONG DOES IT TAKE? THANKS

P.S I FORGOT I WAS IN TEAM TECH.OOPS
, SO CAN SOME,PLZ HURRY AND MOVE THIS TO ZETEC TUNING, THANKS

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: silverbullit ]</p>

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
well... the stock intake manifold is plastic, so doing this has to be done with care. what I did was took off the intake tube on the TB side. I then had someone take the tb and hold the butterfly open. reached down inside w/ a wax pencil and marked all the area that needed to be cored out. then I took off the TB and stuffed the intake manifold w/ towels and took a dremel w/ a metal grinding but and carefully bored it out to size. you'll want to have a vaccum cleaner w/ a hose nearby to suck up the shavings a few times during the process... now because it's plastic it was real rough and notchy after boring it... so i took a sanding wheel and went at it with that which in essence melted and smoothed all the rough edges. when you're done remove the towels and thoroughly vaccum out the manifold. replace the gasket using some high temp siliconefor extra sealant, slap the TB back on and voila.

Now as for feeling a difference from bored manifold + TB to non-bored manifold + TB. That I couldnt tell ya. I bored it out first installed the tb and went from there

·
Registered
150 Posts
The difference is very little mabey with a free flow cat it might show its real potential.but when warrenty service is needed you might feel like removing the cruise control cable to choke the service writer.theres a quick release kit for it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So, in other words, you don't have to bore the intake when you replace the factory TB with an aftermarket one? I have been considering putting on a new one but was kind of leery about enlarging the manifold. (warranty issues?)

·
Registered
904 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by libman:
So, in other words, you don't have to bore the intake when you replace the factory TB with an aftermarket one? I have been considering putting on a new one but was kind of leery about enlarging the manifold. (warranty issues?)
<hr></blockquote>

Nope you don't have too. IMO the gain if any would be a waste of time.

---Herb---

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
why would you not go all the way thru with the air flow...you have a nice big 65mm opening..then baaammm its still the smaller stock intake manifold opening...you spend $230+ for a TB you might as well get all you can out of her...

·
Registered
138 Posts
the bbk is a 62mm tb

·
Registered
904 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
why would you not go all the way thru with the air flow...you have a nice big 65mm opening..then baaammm its still the smaller stock intake manifold opening...you spend $230+ for a TB you might as well get all you can out of her...<hr></blockquote>

Well if boring it was worth alteast 1HP than it would be worth it, but it is not and there for not nessecary and will not produce any gains. Waste of time, but if it makes you feel better.

---Herb---

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got the ported intake manifold from FC and could feel some gains off of that. I don't have any numbers, but call Nader & he'll tell you what's up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts