Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an idea but i'm not sure it will work...

i recently bored out the stock throttle body and was happy with the result. i now believe that the mass air pipe is the bottleneck on the intake side. i want to apply an epoxy layer on the outside of the mass air pipe (about 5mm thick) then i want to dremel out the inside to give it a wider diameter.

my question is... does the mass air meter detect the air flow and calculate the air/fuel mixture based on the current diameter (which would be why they designed it to be the limiting bottleneck) or is that not the purpose of the sensor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yes the air-flow is calculated based on the diameter...your best option is to go buy a properly calibrated pro-flow MAF

·
Registered
207 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ferrethouse:
darn. i'm running out of cheap, do-it-yourself, mods. my wife won't let me spend much more on the focus. the only answer is to get a divorce

just kidding.
<hr></blockquote>

Go with the 70mm MAF from the 3.0 Duratec Ranger
. They can be had for $40-50 at most salvage yards.

Josh

Josh

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the stock injectors were good to 175hp?

has anyone else used a MAF from a Ranger? does it require any re-wiring or is it plug-n-play? i'm not in danger of frying my ECU am I?

thx

·
Registered
207 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ferrethouse:
i thought the stock injectors were good to 175hp?

has anyone else used a MAF from a Ranger? does it require any re-wiring or is it plug-n-play? i'm not in danger of frying my ECU am I?

thx
<hr></blockquote>

It is plug and play if you are using the stock airbox. You don't have to upgrade the injectors, as the PCM will adjust fuel flow accordingly. Do a search from about a month back, and there have been several people that have successfully done the swap. I am planning on it as well, just need some $$

Josh

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by spankenstein:
It's calibrated to the diameter of the tubing. Leave it alone.<hr></blockquote>

Please don't interpret this as me being a smart azz because your throttle body mod on focushacks is the best mod i've done to my car but...

i was reading through previous posts and you stated...

It probably jsut bumped the timing up a little. The 3.0 in the ranger put out 140hp. Not much more than the Focus so I doubt it would even through the fuel that far off.

Now if putting in a 75mm TB from a Ranger isn't going to throw things off much then why would me boring out the stock one to add only a couple of mm cause problems? The beauty of using the Ranger one is that if it causes problems I can revert to the stock one but it will cost me $75 bucks.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts