Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you guys choose between?
I know the Bosal has the can look, but which has the loudest, but Lowest deep tone to it?
I'm just trying to weed out the differences. I know that maybe all of the cat backs out there probably provide the same kind of performance gains, but...just curious. And I just read that all of the UPS trucks are fitted with Borla exhausts!!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have the borla and damm does it sound sweet. I have heard the bosal, it was lould because there was no cat. Bosal still sounded good. I like the looks of the bosal more, plus the whole thing is polished. There both verry high quality units. Borla is deeper/meaner overall though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Bosal sure is purty. I have it, the sound is deep and mellow. It will keep the po-po off your back. Borla is deep and loud. It sounds good, but the Bosal was more my taste.

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
The Borla is deep and loud (especially w/a race header).
My Bosal is not quite as deep/loud with just the
off road pipe and flex pipe.
I love the quality of the Bosal.
It has been several months since I put it on,
and its still purty.

PM me and I can send you a vid clip of another jetters Bosal w/cat after work today.
It's not hosted so I'd need to AIM direct link or something like that.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I sell many kinds of exhaust, but I have a Bosal on my ZX3. I have had it installed for over a year and I find it easy to live with. It has a great sound that does not get on your nerves on long trips.

I have had many people comment on the sound, that it does not sound like the pissed off bumble bee or angry weedeater. They really like it.

With the Bosal, you can personalize it with different tips. If you have a race header, you can add the optional silencer kit. This will make it easier to live with such a combination.

Another benefit of the Bosal is the flanged connections instead of a slip fit. This gives a better seal and a better fit. It goes on one way without having to make adjustments. The Bosal is polished the whole way while other units are only polished on the tip and the muffler.

The Bosal system is a more complete system with two mufflers and a resonator whereas many systems have only one muffler. You get more for your money with the Bosal.

I hope this helps.

Tony D
Your Bosal Dealer

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have a borla on my car w/ a race header and you can hear me coming from a few miles away (no kidding)... If I could do it over again I would definately go w/ the Bosal. It has the nicest tone of any exhaust I have ever heard... even when running without a cat

If you get the bosal and decide you want the Borla, let me know and i'll happily swap with you

[ 01-09-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Isn't Bosal 2 1/4" ? While the Borla is 2 1/2" ?

That would be something to look into also ..

how does the borla sound without a header or anything ..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
BerinG: Yes, the bosal is 2.25" and the Borla is 2.5"

2.25 should be just fine for every application

2.5 may be a tad better for higher output applications such as turbo/supercharged, or high HP NA applications

as for the sound of the borla without any headers, it is still one of the loudest on the market. It has a great tone, but much angrier sounding than the bosal.. Bosal has a much more refined sound to it...

Bosal vs. Borla sounds is kinda like comparing a harpsicord(bosal) to a pipe organ(borla)

Dan T: As for the bosal mount position. No bosal exhausts have side mount... I think you are thinking of HKS exhaust. HKS has that goofy looking crooked angled can muffler, and from what I have heard, nobody has had a good experience w/ the HKS install

[ 01-09-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Originally posted by TooleBox:
BerinG: Yes, the bosal is 2.25" and the Borla is 2.5"

2.25 should be just fine for every application

2.5 may be a tad better for higher output applications such as turbo/supercharged, or high HP NA applications

as for the sound of the borla without any headers, it is still one of the loudest on the market. It has a great tone, but much angrier sounding than the bosal.. Bosal has a much more refined sound to it...

Bosal vs. Borla sounds is kinda like comparing a harpsicord(bosal) to a pipe organ(borla)

Dan T: As for the bosal mount position. No bosal exhausts have side mount... I think you are thinking of HKS exhaust. HKS has that goofy looking crooked angled can muffler, and from what I have heard, nobody has had a good experience w/ the HKS install
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok cool thanks, just making sure

And the installs for both work out correctly right? like the end is not angled to the ground? it fits the stock bumper?

I just think its ugly to have the end going down as if its haging with duct tape or something .. I like it when the exhaust tells that its made for the specific car

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
no... Definately not the Borla, i know the Bosal has a bit more hang, but that was on the Gen 1... Bandit may be able to clarify, but I believe we are in Gen 2 that has corrected that issue

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys! great pictures! so, that short tip, that's in the pictures, that part is part of the cannister, correct? can you take that part off andput a bigger tip, or does a new tip fit on the end of the cannister?

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Yeah Dan thats the tip that comes with the Bosal.
There are a few choices of tip available.
There are alan screws surrounding the tip that
you use to change it out.

·
Registered
970 Posts
i got my borla installed today and damn it sounds good, sounds a little (hope to not offend anyone) "ricey" but still mean, it will sound better when i put a race header on it. then it will sound bad ass, the prob i think it has is the damn cat cloggin it up. damn environmentalists

·
Registered
970 Posts
what kind of setup do u have? stock, race, or shorty header?

G

·
0 Posts
I know you had trouble with this link before, Dan.....

Bosal

I would recommend right clicking on this link in order to download it first before trying to play it. This sound byte forever sold me on the Bosal; even though I am not a fan at all of the "canister" look. The sound says it all.

_michael

[ 01-09-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: trakkstar314 ]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by the_enemy_within:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that was w/ a shorty header stock cat and flex pipe

i can get a recording of shorty header, random tech, FS flex pipe in a couple of days if you like....there's a big difference

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by the_enemy_within:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that was w/ a shorty header stock cat and flex pipe

i can get a recording of shorty header, random tech, FS flex pipe in a couple of days if you like....there's a big difference
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">any way you can get one of a race header flexpipe combo?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts