Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local shop has a Borla exhaust in stock; wasn't my first choice, but it is in stock. I am scheduled to get it installed tomorrow. But after reading a couple of posts on the Borla I am little worried about the sound. I have allot of elderly neighbors who will
complain if it is really loud. It is not too late for me to back out of the install. Does anyone think that the Borla is obnoxious enough to bother neighbors?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I live in a condo complex where the majority of my neighbors are retirees. None of them have complained....yet.... and I have a raceheader

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx. Anyone have a sound clip. All of the links to sound clips on the posts I read were dead.

·
Registered
490 Posts
its not as loud as people say. i have it and it sounds nice. if you put some race headers and a flexpipe it will be really loud. but i dont think its loud.

·
Registered
560 Posts
borla is actually not as loud as ppl described.. it has a deep tone which is good.. i have it and i love the sound..
on the highway.. my friend couldn't even hear my exhaust sound when he was driving beside me with windows closed (he has stock exhaust)
so.. hope this helps

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its louder inside the car than out. I have had others drive my car past me, and there is noise, but funny, it doesn't seem to travel far. By the way, it's not the exhaust, its the left foot that causes all the trouble...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
zx3kona how much did you get the borla for because that is what I am wanting I haven't had time to check with local shops yet.

Drew

2003 Silver zx3

D

·
0 Posts
i got mine for 300.....320 shipped...not a bad deal.....and i think i made the right choice.....it's only loud if ur head is right next to the tail pipe....^_^

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Isnt to loud. I have gotten many many compliments on how my car sounds. Go for it dont worry about the noise factor!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Borla has a really nice deep sound. The only thing I keep hearing though is that if you don't plan on going FI a 2.5 inch exhaust is too big. I have it and love it but I also planed on going FI. Good luck with your decision.

Paparoach

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I've heard the Borla on nick's car as well as Flsfocus' and it isn't really very loud. not as loud as some say. I've got the Magnaflow and it's very quiet and the Borla isn't much louder at all. It's actually louder in the car than it is out side for some reason.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Outside the car the Borla isnt very loud at all. What you will notice if your standing outside listening to it take off is a really mellow low note at first launch. Then as RPMs increase it actually seems to get quieter. When its idleing it has a nice low note, almost V8 like. On decelarition it has a sweet subtle burble.I dont think neighbors would be bothered at all. Inside the car its a little different. The system resonates a bit and gets its loudest around 2800 - 3000 RPM and maintains a bit of a drone at freeway speeds.Its a good sound thoe and most drivers will like it. I cured that problem by adding a resonator to the front section of mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just had my Borla installed. I have to agree with bugshack's description. One additional point: the shop that did the install said that they were very impressed with the quality and fit.

[ 10-12-2002, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: zx3kona ]

·
Registered
24 Posts
yea, it's always good to have it done professionaly. some try to do stuff like that themselves, when they know they can't lol, then end up paying more to get it done right when they could have just did that in the first place.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
From what I've read but backed up with very limited experience is that larger piping generally does two things with regard to sound:

A) Makes the tone deeper
B) Exhaust pulses can linger longer in the pipes with more "turbulance" at lower rpms... causing the pipes themselves to act a bit as mufflers.

Which would explain why its deeper and tends to resonate a bit at certain lower rpms, and be deceivingly louder in the car than for people actually behind you.

*Edit*
If you can change your oil, you can definitely install a Borla catback. Its not rocket science. Basically you have to know how to use a hand saw (move it back and forth a lot), and know how to turn a wrench (righty tighty, lefty loosey).
It really couldn't be easier on a Focus. There are many many many things that can be a pain in the butt and easier just to let someone else do. This is NOT one of them. Save yourself the time and money of going to someone else.

[ 10-12-2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts