Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to Mike at Bosal exhaust and he tells me that they are near complete on the stainless steel High Flow Cat. I guess they've been tweaking it to try to maximize flow, and he says he's been getting 3-4 hp out of a version he has now... but would like to have the final production unit at the 4-5 hp area.

Anyways, he says he will have some ready the first week of Jan. 2003 and if anyone needs to give him a call to see when the final product will ship just give him a call. (800) 631-2271 ext: 227.

He says by Mid-Late January NewEdge, McNewsautomotive, etc... should have them in stock and taking orders. He didn't really give me a price though, other than it will be cheaper than other nameless competitors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I will believe it when I see it

This has been a long wait to say the least.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Paparoach:
I will believe it when I see it

This has been a long wait to say the least.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah I'm in the same boat... I recently had my stock cat replaced under warranty and was seriously looking into the Random Tech Cat for $300 at McNewsAuto. I'll be pissed if the Bosal isn't $50 cheaper than the Random Tech.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I thought they were shooting for $100 cheaper...

In Canadian money that is almost free

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
just in time for me to get one with my tax return and make it street legal for the march inspection

·
Registered
48 Posts
The old posts mention the target price at around $ 250.00 for the bosal cat. Thing is you can get a RT for $ 300.00 now.

What I want to know is who will be willing to dyno a RT cat pipe vs. the bosal piece?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Rob M:
The old posts mention the target price at around $ 250.00 for the bosal cat. Thing is you can get a RT for $ 300.00 now.

What I want to know is who will be willing to dyno a RT cat pipe vs. the bosal piece?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I guess I'll pick the one with modest gains, but is quieter... The RT pipe (having never heard it first hand) is apparently ridiculously loud...

·
Registered
92 Posts
actually, the FS off road pipe w/ the stock manifold is ridiculously loud

sometimes i dont mind it, but most of the time, its fairly annoying

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah um riiiiigghhtt..

I FIRST IN LINE HERE PEOPLE!!!!!

Me first!actually me and paparoach are gonna go get one ourselves...

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
My main concern is how secure it bolts up and if it is C.A.R.B. legal. The powergains look good.

For those who are intrested in the power gains of the RT look here.

Using the search feature is very helpful.

·
Registered
573 Posts
To really get legal in this matter, as far as CA. goes there is no aftermarket cat that is legal for a an OBDll car in your state. You must replace it with a oem cat. As far as testing goes it will pass the other 49 states. It will look close to stock & doubtful the inspectors will pick it up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by S. on Da 5:
My main concern is how secure it bolts up and if it is C.A.R.B. legal.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have the same concern(s)... Also I recall reading that someone had a RT Cat that got clogged after only 6 months of use??? Could have been just a boggus reply though.

Of all the street legal bolt on mods, it would appear the hi-flo cat is the most promising. Although I don't particularly like the placement of the cat so close to the header... Are there any people putting the cat AFTER the flex pipe? What are the disadvantages of putting the cat that far down the chain???

·
Registered
407 Posts
The disadvantage to moving the cat downstream is that is takes longer to heat up and start working. That's why they're either mounted close or have pre-cats right at the header.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts