Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just want to know from the bosal users, if their bosals, have gotten louder and is it noticable when you added an intake?

i'm sure it would get louder the more you added mods, but i have heard a bosal with just a drop in filter in stock airbox, and wondered how much more louder would it get if a CAI was added.

just curious...

thanks

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
It doesn't matter what exhuast you have.....When you add and Intake the noise level is increased, but that is coming from the engine bay.

INTAKES = closer to motor so more noise
EXHAUST = less noise increasing (as long as you don't have a ruffler...-RICE MUFFLER)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The intake has nothing to do with the exhuast being louder. You're hearing intake noise now. The bosal was a pretty loud exhuast though in my opinion, i can imagine the other ones people on here call "loud" they must make your ears bleed and your head explode on the highway. For silence i'd recomment the FS quiet exhuast or the Apexi World Sport (what i have now).

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Bosal Loud???

Try a Borla!!!
At Idle, the Bosal is No louder than stock w/o a Micro-Measuring device....
I am an Audio-Engineer, and my ears are not shot...
At WOT, it's Medium, but NOT Overbearing.
At Speed, there's no Drone At ALL. Louder than Stock at Freeway Speeds...Yes. LOUD? NO.
I can have conversations in a normal speaking voice w/o intrusion when traveling on the Interstate at 65MPH.
Yes, when you're Nailing it, It's Throaty, but in a Pleasant way, w/ NICE Tone.
Try Riding in a NICE European Classic roadster of some sort.(Like a Triumph or a Sunbeam, or maybe a Fiat Spyder or Alfa Romeo). Similar tone, but the Roadster would be louder.
As Far as the Intake goes, it Will Increase overall Volume, but NOT from the Exhaust.

[ 02-05-2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ill agree 100% with michael .. Except for the highway part..

At 65+ .. Or .. 110-140KPH for me.. Which i normally cruise at 120KPH..

Its rather annoying when you just wake up, On long trips.. Etc etc.. (specially for people in the back.. hahahahaha .. i feel bad for them)

Most of the time i like it and it doesnt bother me, but sometimes .. WOW does it get on my nerves royally.

It is though ALOT and i mean ALOT quieter then most in this situation though. So im not complaining at all.. just voicing an unbias opinion.

Edit: Add a shorty intake.. and WOW.. the bosal sounds mint.
I havent heard another exaust yet i would trade it for. When you get thumbs up from hondas asking you how the car sounds that good, you know somethings right.

[ 02-05-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: tdot-zx3 ]

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by MichaelXi:
Try Riding in a NICE European Classic roadster of some sort.(Like a Triumph or a Sunbeam, or maybe a Fiat Spyder or Alfa Romeo). Similar tone, but the Roadster would be louder.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HAHAH yeah that's great, i really want my 2002 car to sound as unrefined and as poorly adjusted as a car from the 70's or earlier.
People with fart cans on their cars always say that too... Oh it sounds like an old vintage car. Yeah too bad it's a fuel injected brand new car. That bosal sounded like ass around 2500-3200 rpm. I'm glad you like it, but i couldn't wait to get rid of mine.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by tdot-zx3:
Its rather annoying when you just wake up, On long trips.. Etc etc..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I consider it a Pleasurable sound, and w/ my stereo at a Moderate volume, it's GONE.
Sometimes I turn the CD Player OFF, Just to Listen.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Smith:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by MichaelXi:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HAHAH yeah that's great, i really want my 2002 car to sound as unrefined and as poorly adjusted as a car from the 70's or earlier.
People with fart cans on their cars always say that too... Oh it sounds like an old vintage car. Yeah too bad it's a fuel injected brand new car. That bosal sounded like ass around 2500-3200 rpm. I'm glad you like it, but i couldn't wait to get rid of mine.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had an alfa for a long time and the sound was great! The sound of the exhaust combined with the engine together with the top down it was like a freaking italian symphony! (Ok, I maybe getting a little carried away there but you get the idea, it was a sweet sound.
).

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bosal is beautiful....simply wonderful....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Smith:
People with fart cans on their cars always say that too...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They're WRONG.

Check your ears and then A/B the three...
Bosal, Vintage Euro Sports Car, and "Fart-Cans".
NO Comparison to your "Fart-Cans" applies.

So it's from 2002? LOTS of things from 2002 SUCK.
Refinement? If you want "Refined", why do you care about exhaust? Power does not necessarily mean LOUD, but it DOES mean Louder than the restrictive Stock set-up. Sorry, that's just the nature of the beast, whether you're talking Bosal/BroSpeed, FocusSport, Apexi, or whatever.
If you can't handle a SLIGHT increase in Volume, you're either in it for the wrong reasons, OR the Bosal you had/heard(?) had a problem w/ install. (Maybe a leak in a Gasket/Junction?)

I've listened to nearly EVERY Zetec-Compatible Exhaust available, and the Bosal is definitely the BEST IMO, and, regardless of my personal bias, among the top three to anyone with ears that work.
I don't like LOUD either. (For a Streetable Car).
Still, the tone is Warm and RICH.
I don't understand AT ALL where you get your "Sounded Like Ass" comment...???
If that's what Ass sounds like, SIGN ME UP!!!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Hhave you heard that HKS Michael? Thats the only one ive yet to hear .. I rank the bosal higher then any other of the exausts sound wise..

[ 02-06-2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: tdot-zx3 ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
HKS is one of the few which I haven't yet heard. IMO, They ALL sound pretty decent, as the Zetec has a decent tone coming from the head in the first place. I just prefer the Bosal Flavor after the fact.
I'm not trying to say that any of the others SUCK, just that Bosal is a NICE, RICH Sound, combined w/ some of the BEST HP gains, Highest Quality, and a relatively low volume to go with it all.

[ 02-06-2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm not trying to say that any of the others SUCK, just that Bosal is a NICE, RICH Sound, combined w/ some of the BEST HP gains, Highest Quality, and a relatively low volume o go with it all.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I 100% Agree. Thats why i got one.

But i still want to hear this HKS.. errr..

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Bosal was my second choice If I hadn't gone HKS. I've heard them, they sound great! But i liked the HKS better.

I'm thinking about picking up a small (somewhat decent) portable tape recorder before this weekend. We're having our local G2G and I'll record mine,as well as the others in our group, and get them posted up here.

I think we have at least one of each model. At an idle, mine is only 72 db (A weighting) with no header ('cept stock
) 12" off the pipe. I didn't have anyone close by to run the revs up. I'll bring my SPL meter along and measure everyones system.

[ 02-06-2003, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Good stuff Phillip .. I cant wait.. Even though in person it will probably sound different i dont even care..

I just wonna hear what the hype is all about.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
HEY!!!
At LEAST you have a SPL Meter!!
THAT'S COOL!!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
you'll hear more "loudness" up front with a new intake. the bosal won't change loudness. the worst you would/will hear is a "stereo" effect of your bosal in the back and intake in the front, pretty cool if you ask me.

michaelxi and I are probably one of the biggest proponents of the Bosal exhaust system. the thing sounds perfect with any mod!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get more noise from my FS Cool-Flo than from my Bosal cat-back! I think thats because the filter is not really contained like the stock filter was and its in closer proximity to the driver. (its just on the other side of the fire wall)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
HKS is one of the few which I haven't yet heard. IMO, They ALL sound pretty decent, as the Zetec has a decent tone coming from the head in the first place. I just prefer the Bosal Flavor after the fact.
I'm not trying to say that any of the others SUCK, just that Bosal is a NICE, RICH Sound, combined w/ some of the BEST HP gains, Highest Quality, and a relatively low volume to go with it all.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Best HP gains ehh? I dont know but i'd imagine all straight through exhausts gain the same amount, it just happens bosal over rates theirs the most. The bosal farts like there's no tomorrow, i guess if you like that "RICH" sound then go ahead. Personally when i had mine I got more ricer comments than I could stand. I also felt bad whenever I looked at it...(it looks friggen redonkulous). I love my new one, it's a night and day difference and better in every aspect (fit, sound, looks, quality) than the 2 bosals I had. I think the zetec sounds pretty nasty personally, the exhaust that minimizes the farts that it makes is the best, not one that amplifies them. Dont you feel dumb driving around going "blub blub bluuuuub blubbbb bluubbbbb" all the time?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
HEY!!!
At LEAST you have a SPL Meter!!
THAT'S COOL!!!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I mixed sound for many major bands from 78-89. Just too many 115 db+ nights.
I like to fly so I get hearing tests ever medical (two years for a private pilot). Well, it was dropping a bit so I had to do something different.

Anyhow, I still have my toys.

In case anyone is interested, Radio Shack (of all places) has a fairly accurate handheld for something like 35-40 bucks. It's an analog meter that only goes to 126 db but unless you're nuts, nobody is listening that loud anyhow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts