Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bosal Silencer arrived today, shipped by New Edge. The current set-up is: Bosal Exhaust (Duh
), Bosal Flex pipe, JBA Street Header, FC Off Road Pipe.

With the regular tip this set-up is deep and loud
Some people may like it, but it was too loud for my taste, and the drone on the highway was unbearable

I put the Bosal Silencer on and the difference is amazing
It sounds like the Bosal without my other mods
This piece is a must for anyone running my set-up or a race header needs to get this to keep the cops off your back.

The sound deadening is awsome...there is minimal loss of power, I didn't really feel any.

That is my review...any questions feel free to PM me

Kevin

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: papasmurfZX3 ]</p>

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh...don't feel bad. i read your post and it was very informative. thank you

--anson

·
Registered
369 Posts
COol.. thanks for the info .. im still strugling to decide on an exaust and planing on future exaust mods(header exc) How loud would the Bosal be with say.. a JBA or FC shorty header, a High FLow CAT, a Bosal Flex pipe and Bosal back from there? Would that be a good setup? HP gains? over stock? i would imagin so.. I dont want unbariable drown on the highway but i do want nice tone at WOT .
Also how much louder would the same setup be.. JBA shorty, Bosal or whatever HI FLOW CAT, Bosal Flex pipe, and BORLA cat back.... that was my other choice.. any opinion or info on that and your setup would be awsome thanks man

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the dyno day last saturday in NJ. Me and another ZX3 had all of the same mods. With one exception, he had a high flo cat, while I have the off road pipe. He dynoed at 12hp more
An exhaust with street header, Bosal, flex pipe, and high flow cat would possibly be a little loud. If it was a Borla...it would be really loud
. I listened to my exhaust again, it sounds almost stock, will definately keep the po-po of your back, and you still get the gains

·
Registered
369 Posts
What is the difference between the setup w/ bosal i put down and your setup? how can having a hi flow cat be louder than no cat at all?? ah sooo confused
i miss my civic exaust..
it was only Header, CAT , CATBACK simple and clean!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion, I confused myself
But the difference is that I am running an off road pipe and you would have a high flo cat. My set up my would most likely be louder...and that is what I was trying to say

It is early and I am tired

Hopefully that cleared things up

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had a "ghetto" muffler on my car before, and At the dyno, for fun, I did a pull with the silencer in and had lost about 5whp. But driving around, you didn't really feel the difference. But then I had lost the Silencer on the Highway!!
At least the Bosal one gets bolted up there nice.

Do you have pics of it on your car?

·
Registered
631 Posts
What of curiosity has anyone tried to use a SuperTrap muffler/silencer to tone down the sound of their car? I remember a neighbor of mine had a old Baja bug and it toned it down real quick! And he said it didn’t hurt performance.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good job Pappasmerf, glad it worked out for you. You can see a picture of the silencer by going to www.newedgeperformance.com That silencer was designed for a project we did for Mazda with dual Chameleon mufflers, which are basicly stright through mufflers. Maza said a little to noisy so we fixed the problem by going with this silencer insert. What's great about this is if you want to make the car noiser just take out the 6 bolts that hold it in place and it's done.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BANDIT summed it all up pretty well
And I didn't break anything putting it on with my "mongol" strength

Yes there is some power loss but you don't notice it too much in everyday driving. If you want to get it back, just put the other tip on

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FOCAL X:
where did you get the silencer, believe it or not this is the first i have heard of it, do you lose HP?<hr></blockquote>

The silencer is quoted as robbing ONE-HALF of ONE PERCENT of the stock/slightly-modded Zetec.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks Papasmurf for the silencer info. Had a 01ZX3/5spd with a FS cat back sounded good very 60's Healey but after 6 months the interior noise really got to me at highway cruising which I do alot of. Now I am an owner of a loaded 02 ZTS automagic. Going Bosal but would like to see if they have a 2.50 style cat back that the silencer kit will fit. Reason for the larger exhaust if I go turbo or JRSC will like to buy exhaust once instead of twice.
Thanks Again.

Stay Focused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts