Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a 2005 se and am new to this forum. I live in California and noticed when I was researching the focus that we have the same engine as everyone else but lost 6 hp due to some sort of emmisions. Does anyone know what it takes to get this hp back or what the difference. Also what are things I should know and good mods for this car...thanks

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Welcome to FocalJet!

To be honest, that 6 hp will probably never come back. Your PZEV engine is just built differently from the non-PZEV version. You will get 2 or 3 horsepower when you remove the hydrocarbon trap from your intake, but the rest is tied up in weird emissions equipment tacked onto the engine. Once the intake is "fixed", the difference between a California engine and a normal one won't be noticeable anyway.

Without a doubt, the best (power-wise) mod for your new Duratec is a cold-air intake. It will get you up to 10 horsepower, and really wake up the engine. Come join us in Duratec Tuning if you have any other questions about your engine!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
you know all this boasting about the duratec motor i am going to finally have to go test drive one....i went to a local car show before the 2005 focus came out and saw one and was'nt very impressed...the thing that did'nt impress me the most was how ugly they made the front end....however from what people have been doing on here they find ways to make them look great...and i give all you guys the props b/c most the stuff just is'nt out there yet...the next thing i noticed was the motor once i popped the hood (one thing i like about this show is you go around sit in the car open the trunk hood...and play w/ stuff etc...i liked the playing w/ the SRT-4 esp. when it came out) So now i'll continue on what i was going to talk about is the motor....yea it's the 2.3 duratec but everything looked so much more sloppy...wires and hoses and crap everywhere...unfinished looking valve cover...the zetec looked alot cleaner under there in my opinion...however i have'nt personally driven one yet....my focus is now boosted so its going to make the duratec seem slow but i should be able to somewhat compare...anyways nice buy and welcome

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
yea it's the 2.3 duratec but everything looked so much more sloppy...wires and hoses and crap everywhere...unfinished looking valve cover...the zetec looked alot cleaner under there in my opinion...
Shiny engines are for people without the cojones to drive hard.

Also, the OP's new 2005 doesn't have the 2.3 liter. Only the new ST and the '03-'04s have that engine. He is equipped with the new 2.0 Duratec.

·
Registered
894 Posts
In real world driving you won't really notice the 6 HP. Do as the other guy suggested and get the intake, as it'll make more difference. Make sure your intake is CARB certified, or the DMV will have a hissy fit.

And PZEV is a good thing; brag about it to your merely ULEV Honda friends.

·
Registered
894 Posts
So now i'll continue on what i was going to talk about is the motor....yea it's the 2.3 duratec but everything looked so much more sloppy...wires and hoses and crap everywhere...unfinished looking valve cover...the zetec looked alot cleaner under there in my opinion...however i have'nt personally driven one yet....
It's not really any sloppier than other makers' engines. It is just missing that retarded and useless plastic cover. Thank you Ford for not using those things. And no thanks to people like boostedzx3 who equate cheap and annoying plastic covers with quality and thereby get other automakers to use them.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Make sure your intake is CARB certified, or the DMV will have a hissy fit.
Only the Cosworth intake is pending CARB certification. It costs over $300.
I wouldn't blame him for buying a different one and going through all the trouble of reinstalling the stock one for inspection.

I also hate plastic engine covers. It's just the manufacturer's way of telling you that you've got no business knowing how the vehicle works. They'd be much happier if we all just came back to the dealership every 3,000 miles for our oil change, and begged them to please fix the "Check Engine" light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts