Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm moving to New Mexico from Taxachussetts, and I'll finally have a place with a garage and enough money to get a second car. I've always wanted a weekend roadster, and the Boxster just speaks to me (but I think it's saying "Give me all your money!") On the other hand, I would also love a new Evo. I can't afford both. So, for about the same amount of money I could:

A) Buy a used Boxster, and upgrade the Focus with a turbo and LSD
-or-
B) Buy a used Miata and trade the Focus for an Evo

Option A
Pros:
+ Love my Kona ZX3 - handles great, hauls lots of stuff, has a bike rack
+ Have my very own mid-engined sports car

Cons
- Neither car would pack much more than 200WHP
- Turbo would void Focus warranty
- Boxster would cost considerably more to maintain than a Miata

Option B
Pros:
+ Miata reliable, cheap to maintain, has great aftermarket support
+ Have my very own street-legal rally car
+ Evo would be under warranty

Cons:
- Evo not as practical a daily driver? (i.e., trunk vs. hatch)
- Miata not as comfortable for weekend trips?

So which would you go for? Additional pros/cons? I'm particularly interested in hearing from those who have experience with both Miatas and Boxsters and can compare/contrast the two.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Ohhh I pity you.... debating on buying $30K+ cars... your life is soooooo rough.

Buy the evo.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I know my reply will seem biased because I own an EVO, but I would explain why I think you should go with the EVO and a used Miata.

For one, these will be two new cars for you and I think they will be a great pair of cars to own. As you mentioned the Miata has a ton of aftermarket support, so you'll be able to have just as much fun, if not more in upgrading it like the focus. While the Boxster is a great car, unless you can afford the Boxster S, you're not going to get the performance you desire especially for the amount of money you will spend in taxes (not sure how NM taxes cars), gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. The Boxsters are also very expensive to upgrade and although I don't know your age, will move you into a totally different group of auto enthusiasts not that this could be bad, but I promise you won't meet the folks like you've met on this board.

I am a hatchback/wagon fan and it took a lot for me to get another sedan after having a 2.5RS. The performance in the EVO is just down right amazing for the price and the aftermarket world is pretty freaking amazing too for this car. Just buy a roof bike rack for it and you won't be disappointed. The AWD will come in handy, and not matter what you've read in the magazines, I use mine as a daily driver and have racked up 7K miles since 6/18 and I have never once complained about the stiff ride. Unlike most performance cars that have a stiff ride, including the boxster, you can drive the EVO on rough rodes without throwing off the great handling. Do yourself a favor and pick up the September issue of Sport Compact Car where the EVO is competiting against a 911 C4S, BMW M3, and Audi S4, while it didn't beat any of those cars, it came mighty closs and it's still 16K cheaper then the second lowest priced vehicle in the group, that's enough leftover to buy a very nice used Miata. The Vishnu Stage 0 plus modified EVO with 4K in upgrades, blew every single car in the article away, hands down, prety embarassing for an 80K 911 if you ask me.

In that article you also see they stated the M3 was the most rewarding to drive, while the Miata doesn't have the dynamics or power of the M3, it is definetely a drivers car, that is extremely rewarding in it's own right, and you'll be able to modify it fairly cheaply and blow away that boxster you thought of first. By the time you finish modifying the Miata exactly the way you want it, the EVO will most likely be out of warranty and you can begin to modify that.

With the EVO and the Miata, I think you will get the best of both worlds, and daily driver very much performance sedan that is truly a benchmark right from the factory, that you can take 3 to 4 other friends along with you when you go out and you'll discover the world of AWD and a turbo with a lot of boost. The Miata is a classic and the rear wheel drive will be a fun distinction between the AWD you know you'll have cheap repairs/maintenace and can easily throw the top down whenever you want. I think the Boxster will become a burden that you'll have to leave as is and won't get to drive all that much. Check out the Miata's at AutoXs and I think you decision will easily be made.

You'll have two vehicles that are great in their own right and they won't break the bank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agreed with emolous. Regular Boxter is not a Porsche it's POS
Seriously, test drive one and you know what I am talking about. I mean considering the money you can get much better car.
I'd rather get a used Honda S2000 because of it's open top
. Yeah, flame me but test drive the S2000 first so that you know what I am talking about. Or used NSX

Then buy a brand new EVO if you don't feel the honda is not enough

It's just my opinion, though...it's your money not mine, just spend it wisely

=dRe=

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
emulous - Thanks, very helpful response
I should also add that my first car was a 1st gen Eclipse Turbo, and my second was an AWD Laser Turbo, so I am partial to both boost and AWD, and have missed both with the Focus

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
http://www.flyinmiata.com/

Enough Said...

No way a Boxter/Focus combo can compare to the fun factor a miata/EVO would provide. I can't even see how it's a decision to be honest. But that's just me. Good Luck.

Oh and I agree with Bur.. you poor bastige

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Miata/EVO nuff said

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely go for option B.) too. Well, actually I'd get an MR2 Spyder instead of the Miata but they don't depreciate as fast so it'd cost more used (plus there's an engine issue to watch out for on '00-'01 models). I'd keep the Evo stock while under warranty and mod the crap out of the MR-S/Miata.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Boxster and Focus hands down. Two of my favorite cars in the same garage. YUM.

I'm not an EVO fan...at all. Actually i'm not a fan of "street legal rally cars". 'Cause i actually like "street legal street cars". If you're gonna rally...get a rally car. If you wanna rides that look sweet and kick major ass in everyway on the street...a boxster/focus combo is my choice

I'm also not big on Miata's...everybody has them...i've driven lots of them...very boring. I'm sure the experience of driving a boxster far surpasses that of a lame miata any day.

With a boxster and a focus w/lsd you've got some of the best handling cars in the world. Simple as that. No chunky sedan, AWD or whatever, is gonna touch them in pure handling and they way you can toss them both into turns with awesome precision. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I believe the Honda S2000 is a much nicer car than the Boxter. I also believe the Sti is a much nicer car than the EVO.

So personally I'll go with used S2000 and new Sti.

Lucky you.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Why NOT Miata/MORE Modified Focus???
Tom's Kit on the Focus will fill the gap, plus some suspension mods, and create a truly unique, SWEET Car, and still leave Budget for the Miata and it's Entertainment.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i say nevermind modifying the focus, keep it as your prcatical car, and use all of the money to buy a new BMW Z-4. or maybe consider a slightly used benz SLK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts