Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been using the Ate "Blue" up to now......is there just one Ford "HD" fluid or does it have some other designation?

thanks

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Also, oddly enough, Ford labels it as DOT 3 fluid, even though it far exceeds the DOT 4 standards. So don't let that throw you off.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i've been using the ford hd fluid for a while and so far i'm pretty pleased with it. there was no noticable brake fade at big willow but the streets will be the real test.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I also need to flush my system out. How many of those bottles would I need to do so? Anyone know the boiling points for the HD fluid?
IIRC, about 600 degrees. Good stuff.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i think its 550 and you'll need about 2 to get the job done (or is it 2 1/2?)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just called my local Ford Part center to find out if they carried the Ford HD brake fluid. The guy I spoke with said there was no such thing and that should only use the specified brake fluid for the Focus! WTF? Anyway, I didn't want to argue with the guy, so I said OK yeah and hung-up.

Has anyone had any type of trouble using the HD fluid?
Or was this guy smoking some good s***?

BTW - I did some seaching and find this cool site . Don't know if its been posted here before but I thought it had some useful information.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The parts guy was smoking something, it'll work great.

In fact, I've used the Ford HD brake fluid long before I owned a Ford... My Omnis love it.

Just remember it needs to be changed frequently... it absorbs water more quickly than most.

·
Registered
723 Posts
how often would you recommend changing it? i've been flushing it about every 3 months or so.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I just called my local Ford Part center to find out if they carried the Ford HD brake fluid. The guy I spoke with said there was no such thing and that should only use the specified brake fluid for the Focus! WTF? Anyway, I didn't want to argue with the guy, so I said OK yeah and hung-up.

Has anyone had any type of trouble using the HD fluid?
Or was this guy smoking some good s***?

BTW - I did some seaching and find this cool site . Don't know if its been posted here before but I thought it had some useful information.
I feel you pain, our local Ford parts and service cernter isn't too good. I think we sould try another one.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
From ENZI's above link...
Ford Heavy Duty (part # C6AZ-19542-AA)
DOT 3 - 550/290 - metal container: Ford Heavy Duty DOT 3 is very inexpensive and is popular among racers because of its excellent dry boiling point. Considered by many to be the best-kept secret in brake fluids. It does absorb moisture quickly, though. Metal can. Recommended by Baer and Alcon. According to Hot Rods and Horsepower: "Ford Motor Company purchases [Castrol SRF] by the barrel, repackages it, and sells it as Ford Heavy Duty fluid to owners of heavy-duty trucks. Anyone may buy it from a Ford dealer under part number C6AZ-19542-AA." Although this rumor is often repeated on the 'Net, given the different specs between the two, this assertion seems questionable at best.

Ford High Performance
DOT 3 - 550/284 - plastic container: I ordered the Ford Heavy Duty fluid above from my dealer. I was told that the part number had changed and that Ford "High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid" was the substitute. Given the differences in the title, part number, and the plastic can, I suspect that my dealer is just full of . . ., well, wrong. The 550/284 rating suggests it is repackaged Performance Friction fluid put in a plastic can. Thanks, Ford.
Thanks for that link Enzi. I went to my local Ford dealer (actually Lincoln/Mercury) and ended up with the latter of the two. All I looked for on the bottle was the 550 dry boiling point so I brought four home with me. They also tried to sell me something in a DOT 4. I just told them that my car is long out of warranty and the fluid was for 'off road use' and they sold me the DOT 3.

So guys, is the Ford High Performance comparable to the Ford HD and acceptable for use on the track?

According to the above quote, the stuff in the metal can is: C6AZ-19542-AA but what I think I got was C6AZ-19542-A. Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Why do you have to tell them anything? I walk up to the parts counter... say gimme this... and they do it! How very very odd.

I've used the HD brake fluid from the get-go and it works great!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Brake Fluid Comparison Chart

Brand Wet Boiling Point Dry Boiling Point
Castrol SRF 518°F 590°F
Motul 600 421°F 585°F
AP-600 410°F 572°F
ATE-Super Blue 392°F 536°F
Valvoline 333°F 513°F
Castrol LMA 311°F 446°F
<font color="blue"> Ford HD 290°F 550°F </font>
Wilwood 570 284°F 570°F
PFC-Z rated 284°F 550°F
AP-550 284°F 550°F

Does this help?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Brake Fluid Comparison Chart

Brand Wet Boiling Point Dry Boiling Point
Castrol SRF 518°F 590°F
Motul 600 421°F 585°F
AP-600 410°F 572°F
ATE-Super Blue 392°F 536°F
Valvoline 333°F 513°F
Castrol LMA 311°F 446°F
<font color="blue"> Ford HD 290°F 550°F </font>
Wilwood 570 284°F 570°F
PFC-Z rated 284°F 550°F
AP-550 284°F 550°F

Does this help?
Ford High Performance 284°F 550°F

I would think that a fresh flush with the Ford High Performance should be just the same as the HD and perfectly acceptable on track. Not as great as some of the high $ fluids, but certainly better than the crap I have in there now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.