Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
live in San Francisco which got tons of uphills and downhills..

it is about 6 months old and time for new brake pads before this pads eat up all rotor(powerslot thing from fs)..

i was going one of downhill(about 45 degree) and my ebc(green stuff) brake pads weren't stopping my car.
and all i could smell was burning smell from pad.
which brand and which model of pads are recommened for this kind of application??
and also will it be better to upgrade the stock rubber hose to steel stuff??and brake booster maybe??

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
That sounds to me like you never bedded the ebc's.
You want to bed them right after install, and MAKE them hot enough to stink, then properly cool them, then that won't happen on the street.
For a description of the proper bedding technique, see the Vehicle Dynamics sticky in the Road Race/Rally/Auto-X forum and read all of the threads referring to brakes.... It's in there.
You want to bed ANY new brake pad, or else under the conditions you describe, ANY brake pad will do that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so 10 times of 60mph~5mph slowly first and then decrease the stopping distance. after 10 times of this, i need to let the pads cool down for hour or so??

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Well, you do it until they stink.
Then drive casually, braking as little as possible to let them cool with a nice breeze.
Then go park it, but as you go to stop (ANY time the brakes are HOT), be gentle on the pedal and don't let the wheels stop turning with your foot on the brake pedal, or else you'll get a spot of pad material transferred to the rotor, and that will be a real mess.
Most people who think that they have a "warped" rotor have done this.
It makes a "thick spot" which causes vibration and "grabbing".
After bedding, Cool the brakes as much as possible before applying them again, and get it home gently.
Let it sit until the brakes are totally cool, then they're ready to use as normal, except they'll last longer and work better.
In addition to making the pad "mate" to the rotor as far as the surface irregularities, etc, bedding also transfers a layer of pad material to the entire face of the rotor.
The pads like to stick to their own material even more than they stick to a fresh metal surface.
Bedding also "cures" the pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts