Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brakes are out of Warranty.

Darn It....

I need new Front pads, and I'm about to need new rotors.
Dealer says there are some heat cracks in the rotors....
My Needs are Auto-X, HEAVY Use, Street, Mild Use most of the time with the occasional backroad Blast.
Recommendations, Prices and Sources PLEASE.
Thanks in Advance.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
BAT (www.batinc.net) has a decent price on rotors. Ford pads are still my favorite, but pricy at $69-$80 a set.

If you want the most economical combo, $109 gets you two rotors and a set of Mintex A/Fs from BAT.

The A/Fs seem to be decent for most applications short of track days.

Tirerack also carries decent prices from what I recall.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
BAT (www.batinc.net) has a decent price on rotors. Ford pads are still my favorite, but pricy at $69-$80 a set.

If you want the most economical combo, $109 gets you two rotors and a set of Mintex A/Fs from BAT.

Yep, the Bat combo is what I have as well. Pretty happy with it so far for daily driving and auto-x. Definately not to be used on track.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

After watching FocusLacy's Mintex pads smoke on the Dragon, I'd rather have Ford parts.
What are the prices/sources/opinions on Hawk and Porterfield??

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
That much I'd agree with, but you definitely don't want to buy Ford rotors... ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) Last time I did my brakes it was with BAT (EBC) rotors and Ford pads. It is almost worth it to buy the brake special, sell the new Mintex pads on Ebay to some sucker for $35-$50, and then put the money toward some Ford pads.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting..., I have one of those Ford Factory service CD's and it specifically lists the rear brake shoe compound as MINTEX from the factory. It doesn't specify the source of the front pads but could it be?...,
MINTEX?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I do know for sure that the Mintex A/F pads and the Ford pads don't look anything alike.. so while Mintex may be the OE, the pads are not the same as the A/F.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
WOAH!

I just called my local place... and they're wanting $160 for the set up front for the NEW formulation!!!!

Man oh man oh man...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Omni,
Are you happy w/ the EBC Rotors?
Prices/Sources on Hawk and Porterfield?
Preferred Street/Auto-X Compounds/Model#'s???

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I posted this a few posts down...

How are Axxis pads? Any good? Heard one good thing about them but not from an ultimately reliable source....

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I posted this a few posts down...

How are Axxis pads? Any good? Heard one good thing about them but not from an ultimately reliable source....

Used to made by/called Repco--from "down Under" in Oz. I had metal masters once on a RX7 and they were good, also used the "Deluxe" pads on a different RX7 and they were good too. Fine for street and parking lot Auto-x.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got around 35K miles on my original set of Ford rotors, including 1 season of Auto-X. When it was time to replace the rotors and pads I got the BAT combo set of Mintex pads and the EBC OEM rotors, based on good reports that people here gave them.
I only got about 10K miles (with 1 season of Auto-Z)on the rotors before they warped. I called BAT and kinda got a run around and didn't feel like dealing with it.
I got a set of Wagner (also called something else that I can't recall right now) rotors on the recommendation of a friend. So far so good, I think I got about 10K on them. I'm sure it's in my head, but they feel firmer.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone else have input?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Yea any other input?

I've been considering a set of Brembo rotors w/hawk pads...any thoughts on this combo?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
My best advice is to stay away from "dual purpose" pads. Those that are listed as street and track are usually bad at both. Similar to four season tires really being no season tires. <font color="red"> WHEN </font>you start doing track events just accept the fact that you are running street pads on the street and will have to swap out to race pads on the race track.

Call Matt Nicholson at Carbotech and ask his advice. Tell him Rich Anderson with the yellow Focus refered you and that you do not delaminate friction material.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my Searching, I've been unable to come up w/ Specific Friction and Temp #'s on the Hawk pads.
Opinions/Info on the HP+ or HPS pads?
I've gotten that info on the Carbotech pads, but no Price/Avail w/o calling on the "Bobcat" 1521 Formulation.
I'm wary of the HP+ due to it's notice regarding rotor wear.... Anyone w/ info Experience?
Keep in Mind, I'm Daily Driving + Backroads, and Auto-X.
If I can make it, VIR in Nov will be my FIRST Track-Day.
I don't have the Money or Time to do many of those events at this point, not to mention the lack of Close Tracks, but I need something that will do well at Auto-X and High-Pressure Street.
HPS is $68...
HP+ is $82...
Porterfield R4S is $89...
Carbotech Panthers (1104) are $125...
No price yet on the Bobcats, but their Friction and Temp #'s look good for my application... I Think....
ANyone have more info?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
This is what I could find--does not get into temperature specifics until the race pads. Have you called anyone at Hawk to discuss your concerns? Might be worth a shot.

Compound Description Features
Hawk HPS -

High Performance Street Hawk Performance HPS compound provides advanced braking characteristics to enhance your driving experience. This unique compound combines the safety and quality of Aerospace design partnered with the braking technology of motorsports.
-Extremely low dust

-High friction/torque hot or cold

-Gentle on rotors

-Virtually noise-free

-Much improved braking over OE

-Long extended pad life
Hawk HP Plus

High Performance Street PLUS
Race Worthy Hawk Performance HP PLUS compound can take the heat at the Track and get you home safely without having to change your brake pads in and out. This compound was designed for the serious street and autocross enthusiast. Warning! Due to the dramatic friction levels produced by this product to achieve "race-level" braking; rotor wear, noise, dust, and pad wear may be increased.
-Extremely high friction output

-Race worthy for autocross

-Race worthy for club racing events

-Elevated temperature resistance

HP SuperDuty –

Automotive and Truck Super Duty Hawk Performance SuperDuty material is our latest friction innovation utilizing advanced Aerospace Technology. This material is a unique blend of Organic, Carbon Fiber and Ceramic materials offering unmatched performance under severe high inertia applications . This material is ideal for heavy-duty truck fleets, large SUV’s and pickup trucks. Whether you’re a weekend warrior towing a boat, a bus driver delivering kids to school, or a fleet manager looking to improve cost per mile, HP SuperDuty provides the durability, safety and performance to meet or exceed your application needs. -Stable friction output.

-Extremely fade resistant.

-Extended pad life.

-Increased rotor life.

-Much improved braking over OE.

HT15
Race Compound Very high torque with a smooth initial bite. Excellent linear torque to applied pressure relationship. Designed for cars with extremely high deceleration rates and limited down force. NASCAR Winston Cup, Busch GN, Super Truck, Hooters Cup, V8 Star, ASA & ARCA.

Operating Temp:
300F - 1600F
HT14
Race Compound Very high torque with aggressive initial bite. Excellent modulation and release characteristics. Designed for cars with extremely high deceleration rates and down force. Supercedes HT-12 material. Open wheel formula cars, CART, Toyota Atlantic, F2000, F3000, Trans-Am, Porsche GT

Operating Temp:
300F - 1600F
HT10
Race Compound High torque with a smooth initial bite . Excellent modulation, consistent pedal, good release characteristics. NASCAR, Busch Grand National, Super Truck, Hooter's Cup

Operating Temp:
300F - 1600F
MT4 (Blue)
Race Compound
(Limited Aavailability) High torque pad designed specifically for cars under 2800 lb . Asphalt circle track cars.

Operating Temp:
400F - 1200F
BLUE (9012)
Race Compound Medium/High torque brake compound. Low pad and rotor wear with good brake modulation. Road racing and Rally applications where low to mid temperature effectiveness is critical.

Operating Temp:
250F - 1000F
DR 97
Drag Race Compound Excellent static and dynamic coefficient of friction. Low pad and rotor wear. Most severe levels of drag racing.

Operating Temp:
100F - 900F
BLACK
Race Compound Medium torque compound designed to be a good, all-purpose low-cost racing pad.

(Good for Rear brake applications on front-drive race appliactions) Dirt circle track, dune buggy, and light duty road racing applications.

Operating Temp:
100F - 900F

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, the Blues describe minimal rotor wear...
I found the info you posted above on the links that were already posted.
What I couldn't find was a price/part# on the Blues for the Focus.
I'd also like some #'s, as well as Real-World input regarding Friction and Wear relative to my application.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
So, the Blues describe minimal rotor wear...
that gets a good bahahahahahahahahaha! blues will obliterate rotors on the street.
Xi......sorry I owe you a phone call....had to go out of town for a few days.

I think it really comes to this..........you're not going to go wrong your first time out on even new stock pads, and HD fluid.... I've had great experience with the Porterfield R4s's on other lighter vehicles on track, and was very pleased with the Mintex C-tech 1155 compound on the Focus as having decent cold street performance while being fine at the track. I'm in denial, still trying for the "dual purpose" use that Rich rightly says just doesn't exist. I just slapped some Hp+s on now, and their cold performance is worlds better, which, as I shared with Rich in his Dirtlab thread....worries me about their hi-temp characteristics......I will be beating the living [censored] out of them on Friday at the Streets of Willow at very high ambient temps, I'll let you know. It's one of those places that seems slow, with some second gear corners, but also NEVER gives the brakes a chance to cool. Rich obliterated HP+s quickly, but he is left foot trailbraking like a sick (and hellishly fast) monkey and certainly represents the highest torture they can get.

I guess my bottom line feeling is a variety of the high performance street pads will be just fine as you get your feet wet on track once or twice..........after that, your speeds will rise, and your braking intensity is going to go waaaay up, it then just makes functional and economic sense to go with the "track set" of pads as Rich suggests..........perhaps Hawk blues, Porter' R4, or whatever "Dirtlab" comes up with

1 - 20 of 24 Posts