Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to paint the hats of my rotors and the brake calipers a glossy black to match the car. Has anyone done this using some cheap paint from Pepboys and gotten a decent job out of it. I just want to do it and have it last awhile to detail it out. Don't want to spend the money for powdercoating. Just want them to stand up to the dust and heat for at least the summer. What paints stand up to the task?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I got some paint at walmart specifically called ..drumroll please.. Brake Caliper paint..lol
Anyway they had the primary colors available (black, red, blue...) and this is how it turned out.

I think the entire project was under $7 and that included a can of the paint, huge can of turpentine (to clean the calipers real good), and some masking tape to tape of the areas not to be painted. I did the project last year over july 4th weekend, and they look exactly the same today with the exception of a couple of nicks where they got bumped swapping wheels on and off. Anyway, here is the rest of the photo album with some more pics.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291098945

·
Registered
510 Posts
Foliatec!!! Stuff is the balls!!! it is about $35 it comes with a brake cleaner. this stuff is strong and will take of anything. a can of the color. u brush it on the put on a hardner and the stuff looks awesome. nice and thick and will not chip. i have put it on 2 of my friends cars and stuff looks great.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
...that included a can of the paint, huge can of turpentine (to clean the calipers real good)...
Turpentine, huh? I've been putting off my caliper painting for months now (red, two-part with hardener). I've been wondering what will get the brake dust stains out

Did yours look like this
? I've scrubbed with brake cleaner and a wire brush... nada. I figure if it's that stubborn I might just paint right over it.

I also intend to hit the rotors with silver. Any advice on the prep?

(BTW, Slayer those wheels ROCK
)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never seen a non-oem painted caliper that looked good. Of course, most of the oem painted ones are usually made by Brembo. Besides, why would you want to make those puny little calipers stand out even more with some cheesy paint? I say, let 'em get all gunked up so you can't see them!

~Dave

·
Registered
742 Posts
Foliatec!!! Stuff is the balls!!! it is about $35 it comes with a brake cleaner. this stuff is strong and will take of anything. a can of the color. u brush it on the put on a hardner and the stuff looks awesome. nice and thick and will not chip.

I used this stuff a year ago and its great. I pulled the calipers a part and used 2 extra cans of break cleaner. The key is to get them clean.....2coats of paint kuz it drys faster that you can paint it on. If you keep brushing it on you will get brush strokes. One coat and 15 minutes later #2. It is a 12 hour process 2 hour cleaning every little crack and 1.5 hours painting, the rest of the time to cure to a hard smooth finish. Then to reassemble your breaks and if you got sloppy with the paint, get the small wire wheel on the dremmel out the get the paint out of the break guides. I'm glad I did it and happy that I spent the quaily time to make it look good. NO "PEP BOYS" job

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Foliatec!!! Stuff is the balls!!! it is about $35 it comes with a brake cleaner. this stuff is strong and will take of anything. a can of the color. u brush it on the put on a hardner and the stuff looks awesome. nice and thick and will not chip.

I used this stuff a year ago and its great. I pulled the calipers a part and used 2 extra cans of break cleaner. The key is to get them clean.....2coats of paint kuz it drys faster that you can paint it on. If you keep brushing it on you will get brush strokes. One coat and 15 minutes later #2. It is a 12 hour process 2 hour cleaning every little crack and 1.5 hours painting, the rest of the time to cure to a hard smooth finish. Then to reassemble your breaks and if you got sloppy with the paint, get the small wire wheel on the dremmel out the get the paint out of the break guides. I'm glad I did it and happy that I spent the quaily time to make it look good. NO "PEP BOYS" job
show us!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
are you serious about painting the rotors?
I think he means the part around the hub, to prevent it from rusting.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
show us!!
There's a couple shots on there, but I Have some closer ones on my computer at home. This may help a little.

Imagestation

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
are you serious about painting the rotors?
I think he means the part around the hub, to prevent it from rusting.
Thanks Nalar. I'm glad someone understands that the pads don't contact every part of the rotor

Yes I'm serious. So was the original poster. So was Ford (or whoever the OEM is) when they painted the rotors at the factory, but they weren't serious enough to put a decent coat on.

Sorry if this reply sounded bitchy
. Just one of those days I guess.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
BTW- If ANYONE likes their stock wheels, painting the rotors and hubs is a must if you live in a climate where rust develops in less than 2 years- I am in DIRE need of doing this soon, because my hubs/rotors have started rusting and are leaving rust stains on my wheels, that I CANNOT get out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts