Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, long time no post.

Im wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem I have been having with my SVT focus. When I hit the brakes at high speeds my wheel shakes a bit. I am guessing that it is either rust on the rotor, or a warped rotor considering that it is only during braking. Common problem? Other ideas?

-shrimp

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
could be warped rotor. which will shake quite abit. and it is useally worse at higher speeds. you can take the rotor(s) off and take them to a place that will turn them and see if they are warped

·
Registered
475 Posts
repeat after me "Warped rotors are a figment of my imagination" Unless of course, you're heating your rotors up till they glow and then pouring cold water on them

What you're feeling is most likely uneven layers of pad material on the rotor. If you heat up the brakes and come to a complete stop, you can leave a pad imprint on the rotor, which will give that classic "warped rotor" effect.

If everything is up to spec (rotor & pad thickness) and the vibration is slight try re-bedding your pads *bed-in link* , If that doesn't work you'd have to get the rotor face ground down, (again, if everything is still to spec...if not, a full brake job would be best).

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
rust on the rotor
Unless your car ssits for an extended period of time (like more than a month) then any rust will be gone the first time you hit you'r brakes.

Rotors can warp especially if the wheels are not put on with a torque wrench, but more likely is as kev said, uneven pad deposits. This is usually caused by getting the rotors nice and hot and then allowing them to cool off while the pad is in one place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts