Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have been squealing for a while. Stopping fine, but really loud. I cahnged the brake pads and it still squeals (maybe worse) Is it the rotors? they weren't grooved badly. Are Drilled and slotted worth it? how about the ones on ebay?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
My brakes squeal from time to time. I was actually try to find out what the deal was. I think there might be a TSB out on the brakes, but I am not sure. So hopefully someone can chime in with some info.

It could be just one of those things that never goes away

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine isn't "from time to time". Mine is loud and constant with every stop. Does everyone else's rims get super dirty with brake dust? I can't keep mine clean. I thought maybe the excess amount of brake dust could have something to do with it. I was told that drilled and slotted rotors would help with the break dust problem. Would anyone second that?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Does everyone else's rims get super dirty with brake dust? I can't keep mine clean. I thought maybe the excess amount of brake dust could have something to do with it.
I can't answer your questions because I don't know either, but I can give you some more data.

My rims get super dirty in just one week, about 300 miles. The brakes produce a crazy amount of brake dust, but mine never squeal. It's silent and it works, but it's very messy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My brakes used to be quiet, but in the past few thousand miles, have been exhibiting some noise. The pads were my first suspect, but all of my rotors and pads are in good shape (all stock). My noise is reproduceable as it only occurs when the brakes are warm (lots of stop-and-go highway driving, for example), and I am braking lightly. Braking harder generates no noise. It seems to me that this would be attributable to some sort of brake pad/rotor wear because my dad's SVTF is now doing the same.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It is completly normal for disk brakes to squeal while stopping. Now if you are hearing a grinding sound then that means your out of pads.

Stay away from drilled rotors unless you are into bling and not performance.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My noise is reproduceable as it only occurs when the brakes are warm (lots of stop-and-go highway driving, for example), and I am braking lightly. Braking harder generates no noise.
Me too. I had the shudder, squealing and brake dust before, then I replaced the front rotors with EPC blanks from BAT Inc. and stock SVT front pads. The shuddering went away (thankfully) but I still have the squealing and dust. And like you said, it's worse when they're warm or softly applied.

I'd say live with it (but yes, it is embarassing at times) or try and get some of that blue "anti-squeal" stuff that they sell at parts stores and apply it where the piston meets the backing plate. I'm not sure if that will work, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It is completly normal for disk brakes to squeal while stopping. Now if you are hearing a grinding sound then that means your out of pads.

Stay away from drilled rotors unless you are into bling and not performance.
How can it be normal for brakes to squeal
They don't squeal on any of my other cars. I do get sick of the brake dust and the noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts