Ford Focus Forum banner

Brakes/Brake pads???

446 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rheacer 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am planning to autocross this fall and I currently have stock brakes. Should I just change the brake pads? Any recomendations?
I have 20k on stock brakes and I have an automatic.
Thanks.
James G

--2001_red_zx3--
A whole bunch of mods.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good point. What you are concerned with, is temperature operating range. Stock pads work good at temps you are likely to generate on an AutoX cross (ambient to 200). Race pads may not do anything till they get over 200 and work till 900-1200. A cold race pad can really chew up a rotor, and not give much stopping power either. That being said, I have had great luck with Gold pads from Advance. I believe they are made by Ferodo. Plus, I can get them replaced for free as long as I own the car. Tried EBC greens once, and really liked the cheape-uh- less expensive pads from Advance

#5 ·
That being said, I have had great luck with Gold pads from Advance. I believe they are made by Ferodo. Plus, I can get them replaced for free as long as I own the car. Tried EBC greens once, and really liked the cheape-uh- less expensive pads from Advance
tell us more about this?

#6 ·
ProRated on old pads.
WearEver Gold
http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?sourcearea=SHOP&ptset=A&parttype=219&description=Brake+Pads+%26+Shoes&sourcepage=PartTypes&searchfor=Brake+Pad+%2F+Shoes%2C+Front
EBC Greens never seemed to work at low temps, but they held up well after 20 minute sessions at Nashville Speedway http://www.nashvillespeedway.com/html/facility_map.htm on the Contour SVT (110 mph front straight down to 1st gear 180 degree turn into infield). Not sure they were that good for autoX. Did forget to change WearEvers once for a SOLO I at Sebring on Mustang. Did 30 minute practice session. Came in and noticed grease bubbling out from under dust cap. Pyrometer said 960 degrees and climbing- after rolling through pit lane. Pads never did fade, but crumbled after they cooled down....oops
Learned about matching pad for conditions.

#7 ·
holy long URL batman!

what's the optimum temp for the WearEvers? i don't currently do any road track sessioning but i autocross a ton and drive a ton. at $38 with a lifetime warranty that sounds like a deal!

#8 ·
what's the optimum temp for the WearEvers? i don't currently do any road track sessioning but i autocross a ton and drive a ton. at $38 with a lifetime warranty that sounds like a deal!
Only $950 will get you all the information you want. (Cost of HR-055B dyno test.) I might be able to allude to some of the information on certain pads that I have visibility on, but I cannot give too much information as my employer regularly pays that fee and most likely would not want it shared for free. These pads, I can tell you work well to about 700F and then start to lose mu rapidly.

#9 ·
Sounds right. Not a great track pad (crumbled), but a fine AutoX pad IMO. Good bite from ambient to whatever I've been able to generate on autoX course. I guess point being, be sure what you are using pads for before shelling out big bucks for highzoot triple throwdown racing pads on a street/autoX car.

#10 ·
Good point. What you are concerned with, is temperature operating range. Stock pads work good at temps you are likely to generate on an AutoX cross (ambient to 200). Race pads may not do anything till they get over 200 and work till 900-1200. A cold race pad can really chew up a rotor, and not give much stopping power either. That being said, I have had great luck with Gold pads from Advance. I believe they are made by Ferodo. Plus, I can get them replaced for free as long as I own the car. Tried EBC greens once, and really liked the cheape-uh- less expensive pads from Advance

Are the "Golds" as dusty as the OE's on a daily basis???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.