Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a breather filter on the valve cover instead of having the tube running from the intake to the valve cover. Will the breather filter clog up fast because of the vapors going through it? Is there any benefits or cons to doing this?

·
Registered
222 Posts
K & N makes a small breather filter. I have on one my car right now and theres plenty of clearance between the intake and valve cover. The only problem is that its too short and my fuel rail is in the way so its kind of crooked but there was enought of the filter on the breather tube so i could get it clamped down with no leaks.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
PepBoys has a nice APC breather filter for about $9. Fits perfectly with the stock tubing. I was pretty suprised by the quality, but then again its really hard to screw up a mini air filter.

·
Registered
411 Posts
PepBoys has a nice APC breather filter for about $9. Fits perfectly with the stock tubing. I was pretty suprised by the quality, but then again its really hard to screw up a mini air filter.
Do you have a pic w/ that?

·
I'll Buy YOUR car for $10,000!!!
3,602 Posts
I have the volant intake and it has the breather tube going into the box w/ no filter on the end, i didnt like this so i got a universal K&N breather and put it on the end of the tube that volant came with (it has a nifty plastic clamp thingy) and just pushed it under the air box, works great..

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a breather filter on the valve cover instead of having the tube running from the intake to the valve cover. Will the breather filter clog up fast because of the vapors going through it? Is there any benefits or cons to doing this?
The filter your refering to shouldn't have any vapors going through it. The only thing it filters is air. It's an intake filter for the PCV system that pulls fresh air into the crank case through the valve cover, then exhausts crank case pollutants through the PCV valve in to the intake manifold. If you do have vapors coming out of it then you may want to investigate for excessive ring blow-by or a malfunctioning PCV system.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about benefits to putting a breather filter on?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Not currently, but I may soon. I located the breather up by the firewall.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
..The filter your refering to shouldn't have any vapors going through it...
Are you sure about this?

If this were the case, wouldn't the stock tube go from the valve cover to the clean side of the air filter?

But doesn't the stock tube actually go to the ambient (dirty) side?

And doesn't the low pressure in the air filter box tend to draw from the tube/valve cover?

And isn't is better to filter that air/vapor prior to sending it into the manifold and cylinders, where the internal combustion process can burn it?

And if you remove your oil fill cap with the engine running, don't you feel a lot of positive pressure coming out of it?

Are you really sure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts