Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the deal, it happened twice, on long turns, like ramps getting onto/off highways, the car starts to buck -- giving it gas or clutch does not help, so i suspected a fuel pump problem possibly.. anyway, i called a friend who works at a ford dealershp and they happened to have a focus in that day that had the same problem--apparently something is wrong with the fuel pump on my car (01' zx3), and they replace the fuel pump, and clean out the gas tank (bc it gets filled with gunk) under warranty----i made an apt this friday.. any1 else have similiar problems??? and if so, did u have any problems getting it covered under warranty??

-chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had that problem, warranty was denied first by the dealer, then by the Ford customer dis-service hotline. They quoted $700 to do all the work, but Century Ford in Rockville really weaseled me before I caught on.

First they called saying I had rocks in the tank, it seemed to be vandalism. I go to the dealer to check it out, they hadn't even looked. So, I ask them to please look, but they charged me for 2 hours labor just to do that, I think $160. They showed some powdery debris caught in filters, but denied coverage because a few drops of water were in the tank. I found out later that under the warranty they had NO RIGHT to charge me money if they didn't know what the problem was. Bumper-to-Bumper doesn't cover non-warranty things like pieces getting broken and wear/tear, but it does provide for a free analysis to determine if something is caused by a manf. defect. If I were you, put a little bit of that stuff to remove water from the tank in there just in case!

To make a long story short, I "only" paid $400 to have them clean it but not replace anything. The problem kept recurring after a short time, so I took the extra step of dropping the tank and throwing away both filters that were in the tank. Didn't clean them, threw them away and didn't replace. No problems since then, although I probably should get a backup fuel pump and do the "hole in the back seat" mod that gives easy access.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm sounds crappy--i dont wanna pay a dime---i dont like the fact that i am still paying off a car and have to dump money into it---ill argue my butt off if it comes to that--anyway, i will update this post as it goes along, as well as part numbers and whatever the parts guy says about a new fuel pump which i heard about

-chris

·
Registered
358 Posts
My car did this for the first time this week, I thought about the hole under the back seat idea. How do you reseal the hole once you cut it? Is there any danger of fuel getting into the passenger compartment in the event of an accident?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got it back from the dealer and took it for a spin---everything was fixed.. heres what they did

replaced the fuel pump, and parts of it broken off and corroded gunk inside the tank. so tank was removed, and drained and cleaned.

parts;

1M5Z-9H307-AC SNDR & PUMP ASY FUEL TANK
F89Z-9155-A SPEC FUEL FLTR ASY

no idea on cost of these parts---it was covered under my warranty. i have extended warranty but am only at 21k miles so the stock warranty should stil hold for anyone else.. dealer i went to was toms ford in keyport nj

-chris

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
no idea on cost of these parts---it was covered under my warranty. i have extended warranty but am only at 21k miles so the stock warranty should stil hold for anyone else.. dealer i went to was toms ford in keyport nj
New pump at a Ford shop is 260 bucks. About 450 for labor + parts.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Go to the salvage yard and pick up a 02 or newer pump assembly...might have a problem with connectors being the same so be sure to check or make a drawing. As far as cutting a hole....just drop the tank, then you dont have to worry about rust and sealing the hole. It may take a while...but it is sooooooo worth it. I replaced my fuel pump with a 02....havent had a problem yet. I have a 00 Foci ZX3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts