Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I am very serious about getting this 302 into my focus...as much as I wanted a turbo/sc zetec...everything about my car scares me now...and I would rather have a mustang underneath.

I have decided to look to Fox Lake for bottom end duties which include a stock block 302..forged rods/pistons..and cast crank...now comes the fun part...

After the bottom end and conversion kit I am looking to do this for as little $$$ as I can...my goal being 10k over the next few years.

I would really like the car to have a power band located up in the RPMs as this will be a manual. Too much torque to the skinny wheels is doing the same thing my car does now.....sit there.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The best place to go for this info is one of the stang sites. www.stangnet.com www.corral.net I wuld suggest not getting too wild with the head,cam and intake packages becasue you will smoke the tires. Try to get a holley systemaxII and stay with that. Anymore tq than that will kill your whole run. Just pick up some MMFF mags and look at the low buck build ups to get some info.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have the pefect heads for you, nice aluminim twisted wedge stage 2 port. Flows great and can make a lot of power. I was making over 500 rwhp wil them in may stang and went low 11's. But that was with a supercharger and many other mods. On just motor I was running high 12's and had over 300rwhp with the heads. They are also o-ringed. Anyway, let me know if you are interested as I am planning on selling next week.

PM me!

·
Registered
745 Posts
a bigass wieland supercharger screaming out the hood of a focus...i think i just filled the cup
tub out the rear and put some monster meat under there...if need be get the RS wide-body rearfenders from Indy that will allow you to throw some 8-10" wides back there...if you did that i would have to surrender my screen name to you...

·
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by iamgod:
a bigass wieland supercharger screaming out the hood of a focus...i think i just filled the cup
tub out the rear and put some monster meat under there...if need be get the RS wide-body rearfenders from Indy that will allow you to throw some 8-10" wides back there...if you did that i would have to surrender my screen name to you...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">mmmmmmmmmm....140cid blower...
mmmmmmmmmmmmm....335 series tires...
...I like the way you think!!

But alas...too much $$$

·
Registered
227 Posts
You need to go wide in the back, Dude! Do it cheap, get the fenders rolled (professionally) and stick some fat rubber back there!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u could always go w/a ford racing long block 302. fully done up and 345 ponies 4 a lil over 3grand. no work involved except unwrappin it outta the crate.

-Ult

·
Registered
745 Posts
am i to deduce by your name you have a sedan? ...ooo interesting
a sedan V8...go to the junkyard and find some dumbass who trashed his lightning...supercharged, fuel injected, and modable.

·
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by David Anderson:
guys, i believe he already bought a trashed 302...so he has block and stock ****
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope....guess again....just as I was about to plop down the $$ to pick up the engine I figured I would have at least the bottom end built professionally....then junkyard/used the top end.

Right now...I am hoping to get away with a rebuildable T-5 for about $50!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Go with the 392 crate motor and call it a day.

If you are hell bent on going with a stock 302 bottom end, I suggest going with either the Edelbrock Performer or possibly the Victor Jr heads. These heads flow nicely right out of the box. Go with a nice conservative cam (the E303 is a great conservative grind without having to get into notching pistons for piston/valve clearance). The Edelbrock intake would also be my choice for either carbed or EFI applications. The Victor Jr. EFI upper/lower intake has short runners...great for high rpm motors.

The Mustang I just sold had a 306, E303 cam, Edelbrock heads, and a ported GT40 intake. Even with the power sapping AOD the car ran dead even with a Z06 Vette (damn good considering my car was pushing 4000lbs)...AND the car still averaged 30mpg on the highway and was a great daily driver. That just goes to show that a properly setup 302 or 302 derivative will still make enough power for you to drive on a daily basis and not suck all the gas money out of your wallet.

If you REALLY want to make high-end power, then you are going to need a solid-roller cam. It gets quite expensive, but nothing comes close to the feeling of a properly built solid roller motor pulling upwards of 7000rpm.

·
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More than likely a 306...the smallest Fox Lake offers.

But the Edelbrock Performer Heads and GT-40 Intake is what I have been leaning towards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts