Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
The video has a ton of information in it, please take a look.

I'll also give you a personal run down of it all.

1. The catback on the car stock weighs in at 44 pounds. Our catback weighs in at 23.9 pounds, a nice 20.1 pound savings.

2. The stock downpipe weighs in at 13.8 pounds. Our offroad downpipe weighs in at 4.7 pounds, a nice savings of 9.1 pounds.

We chose to do a 2.5" catback. The system is built entirely of 304 grade stainless steel and is mandrel bent. The tip is oval 3.5" x 6" that fits real nice in the rear bumper. There are reasons why we chose a 2.5" system and I realize everyone is going to want to jump on a 3" catback system. Let me explain.

First, the clearances on the car are VERY tight, so there is not a lot of room to squeeze a 3" exhaust through. This is going to for sure cause rattling problems. Second, we have dyno tested and dyno tested and dyno tested and then ran thousands of passes at the track over years. A properly designed mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust system not only weighs less than a 3" system it will also have no performance losses over the 3" system until about 400 hp. It's going to be awhile before we are worrying about 400 hp in the ST. Then last there is the noise. I guess I am finally getting old (46) as the constant droning and loud exhausts aren't as appealing to me anymore. I want to hear when I'm on the throttle and not hear it when I am off the throttle. This catback does that, it sounds fantastic at WOT and rowing through the gears. At cruise/idle it is dead quiet though. Gains by just bolting the cat back on were, 14 whp/12 ft lbs

The downpipe. Looking at the stock cat/downpipe on the car I'd have guessed the power gains would have been huge. Unfortunately they were not. The stock part just looks like it's designed horribly. We built our downpipe from 304 grade SS, it's mandrel bent and has provisions for both 02 sensors. The downpipe is 3" to make for a nice transition coming out of the turbo and then through a reducer goes down to 2.5" to mate up to the catback. The gains were minimal in the HP department but the change in sound above about 2800 rpm are high. IF you like your car to sound good but not loud, then I'd suggest keeping the stock downpipe/cat on the car. Gains just bolting the offroad downpipe on were 7 whp/7 ft lbs.

We are also an SCT dealer. This is not in the video but I want to touch on it. The gains were 24 ft lbs and 13 whp on our dyno with the tune from SCT. I also have the custom tuning software now and am working on a custom Buschur Racing tune for the car that will be available soon.

You WILL get a check engine light, although it takes quite awhile for it to come on, with the offroad downpipe. This can be shut off in the SCT Tune and will be something we offer for offroad use.

Here's the video, enjoy it!

Link for those w/o Flash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSMASLbflQ

·
Registered
934 Posts
Here are some of photos of the products as well as some dyno sheets for comparison of what we've done up to this point.

Buschur Racing Catback Exhaust:

Buschur Racing Downpipe

STOCK vs BR Catback w/ Air Filter Kit:

BR Catback w/ Air Filter Kit to BR Turboback w/ Air Filter Kit

BR Turboback w/ Air Filter Kit to SCT Tune addition

Stock to BR TBE, Air Filter Kit & SCT Tune

·
Registered
25 Posts
Props for being different but I personally hate the look of that tip. It doesnt come close to filling the stock spot. Just looks off to me. But glad to see the inovation.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
You've deleted the flex pipe? As well as the cat hard mount? Why?

Maybe a larger tip to fill up the cutout?

Awesome progress.

- Drew

·
Registered
3,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
You guys planning on making a down pipe with a high flow cat in it? Would that also keep the check engine light off without a tune? Also, in mentioning the lack of big gains from the down pipe, do think there are benefits besides HP gains? More specifically, heat build up. I'm in Phoenix and heat is going to be a big problem next summer. Do you think it would have a real effect in not having heat stored up in the turbo?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your going to have MAJOR issues by producing a downpipe like that. That's all I am going to say right now... Other than that good deal.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I've had my downpipe on for roughly 3,500 miles and dont have a CEL... use a defouler until its tuned out.

Also curious about lack of flex. Thats going to destroy the rear cat hanger mount.

Also just noticed there doesn't appear to be a hard bracket for downpipe in middle. Please tell me either this design is still in progress or you're doing a turbo swap.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm in for the typical Buschur blow up.

But, I agree on the tip statement. It just looks like a hot dog in a hallway.

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not going to start out arguing on these forums but will point out some facts.

Two guys in here, (JakeBrewer Jwhalen07) one building exhausts and wanting to sell them and the other one a customer of his. I'm sure the two of you have built more exhausts than we have in the 23 years I've been doing this, let's see that would put you guys at over 10,000 units..........so you can both leave and take your comments with you.

For the two of you, the EVO, that's a bad ass fast four door with a FWD engine mount configuration, in case you aren't aware of the car and layout, well we build exhausts for those. There was a car called a DSM too, same layout, we build exhaust for those too. When we started doing those cars we also used a flex section in the exhaust, because the OEM did. Then we had failure after failure of the flex sections. I made the choice over 10 years ago to eliminate the flex sections and do you know how many failures we've seen since then? NONE. So that case is closed now and you guys can go about trying to promote your product elsewhere, maybe your own thread would be a good place for that.

Also Jwhalen, we are not interested in selling your products instead of offering our own, please don't PM Jarrod offering such ridiculous things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For everyone else. Every time a product is released their are going to be people who love it or hate it I guess. Jarrod and I both love the tip. There will be plenty of systems on the market at some point, maybe another companies will make you happier with the look. I like it, we aren't changing the tip design.

The final power numbers/gains are on the last dyno sheet posted. A total of 24 whp PEAK and 32 ft lbs PEAK were gained with the full exhaust, filter and SCT tune. There are gains in the curve that are higher than the peak gains and as you will notice the gains are substantial from 2200 rpm up.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Interesting post.

- Drew

·
Registered
53 Posts
The information I received and used to build my downpipe was from Roush(Company that designs and test damn near everything for Ford). Enough said though. Good luck with your sale.

P.S. My last name used in the DSMshootout was Wheeler for some reason. I won DSE. I like you guys and support your events. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The information I received and used to build my downpipe was from Roush(Company that designs and test damn near everything for Ford). Enough said though. Good luck with your sale.

P.S. My last name used in the DSMshootout was Wheeler for some reason. I won DSE. I like you guys and support your events. Just trying to help.
Umm, they used Whaler. :D

Shoot me a PM on what it would cost to get an exhaust done up(non St). Im starting to put together a spreadsheet of what I want and what they cost since, I think I'm going to buy this thing. Or at least, get the RS.

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Someone also asked me about a high flow cat option. Yes, it's possible we could offer that. The issue I have with anything we build is "do you need it". We sell only things that we have personally tested and find to work, end of story. I'm a racer/enthusiast first and a business man about 5th! haha Yes, we could offer it but with a 7whp/7ft lb gain completely eliminating the cat I don't see the money you'd spend on a high flow cat being worth the expense of the new part. The biggest gain in this is the weight savings of removing it.

Our exhaust is off the car now and on it's way to be mandrel bent in one piece. Usually takes a few weeks. In the meantime we are fab'ing up a new system to just continue on with our dyno work and tuning.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts