Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!

Nice to be here! For those of you that don't know, we've been in business since 1989 working primarily on Mitsubishi powered products. Our shop has set many records through the years, such as the first 4g63 in the 12's, 11's, 10's, 9's, 8's and 7's. Also the first EVO8 in the 8's etc. Point is we aren't some fly by night company and know our way around turbo charged 4 cylinders. We are based in Wakeman, Ohio, have a full service facility, in house Mustang AWD chassis dyno. We also build the majority of what we sell here in house and have always focused on making the lightest weight, durable parts you can buy and keep our costs as low as we can. We also have always tried to keep as much of our products using American made parts as possible, even though we specialized in Japanese cars. In this economy I think that is even more important so people who are trying to enjoy this hobby can have a place to work and spend money on their cars.

Without further delay, here's our story on the new Focus ST.

I've had my eye on the new Focus ST since I first saw it in 2011. I ordered the car back in about February of this year and it finally came in two days ago.

First impressions are it's a great car. The power feels real nice, no turbo lag, the engine is very responsive. The handling is also great, it's a firm ride but not harsh and the cornering feels real good. It's very easy to get the rear end hung out in a corner, which is the opposite of the typical push you get in in most FWD platforms. The engine is a 2 liter turbo, direct injection engine. The wait will be for a tuning solution. We are a SCT dealer/tuner and I'm hoping they come up with a solution quickly.

We got the car on the dyno and it put down 242 ft lbs of torque and 213 whp! The car makes boost instantly. I thought the factory boost gauge had to be wrong because just on a quick free rev I was seeing nearly 10 psi and peak seemed to be about 18 psi. Well once hooked to the Mustang Dyno I verified that the gauge is on the money. I can't believe just a quick rev of the throttle in neutral will make 10 psi of boost, if you put a good tire on the car and did that the car would have to leave the starting line very-very well. Keep in mind, the EVO8's only made about 214 whp on our dyno back when the cars were new and had less torque than this by a considerable amount, so the car is really fun to drive.

Last night I decided to pop the ST's cherry with only 68 miles on it and a completely full tank of 93 in it. I headed out to Norwalk and made some passes in it. No mods, no weight reduction.

First pass I used the traction control and ran a 14.98 at 95 mph, sixty foot was a 2.55. I thought I could probably do better without the traction control and the next pass did a little burn out to clean off the tires, the car had smoke rolling off both front tires in the burn out box;) Next run was a 14.79 at 95 mph with a 2.37 sixty foot time, I had a slight bog. Next run I did the same thing, right down to the slight bog and ran a 14.72 at 97.34 mph. I figured I'd give it one more shot and try to get after it a bit harder on the launch to get rid of the little bog I was getting, I got a little over anxious and spun the tires, slowing the 60' to a 2.61 and running a 15.07 at 95.66 mph.

The car shifts FANTASTIC. I was getting a little clutch smell so I'm going to guess the car is going to need an upgraded clutch fairly quickly.

Here's a video of the dyno runs and the drag runs we made with the car so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzfrxC1Mpzw

First up is a turbo back exhaust and we have a rear engine mount on order already and it's being built by Torque Solutions for us. The car has a major clunk on a hard 1-2 shift or when you leave the line hard, it needs a better rear engine mount to keep that from happening. We move into a better intercooler and some nice looking intercooler plumbing after the exhaust and then probably be held up for a bit waiting on a tuning option.

Here are some pictures Jarrod took of the car, bone stock with about 65 miles on it.

·
I
13,302 Posts
Very nice and welcome! Glad to have you guys on FJ.

Sucks to hear about the clutch...but hopefully we have some options soon. Seems like nothing new for you guys being so heavily entrenched in the Evo market :lol:

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
We got the car on the scales today. I figured it was easier to get a good base weight on the car full of fuel so I filled it up with 93 to start.

Starting weight was 3224 pounds. Corner weights are without driver.

LF 965 RF 983
LR 668 RR 608

Not too bad.

We are weight fanatics here. Anything we can do to remove weight from a car without ruining it, we find a way to get it done. It's difficult to see in the rear hatch of the car, even with the package tray removed. The car has a large spare tire in it and a tool kit. Ours also has the amp and sub woofer in the rear.

We removed the spare, tool kit, jack, spare tire cover, package tray and the styrofoam around the spare. We then moved the amp around a bit and re-mounted it on the back of the rear seat. Corner balancing afterwards was improved and the weight was down a pretty incredible 84 pounds!

Total weight after, 3140 pounds.

LF 971 RF 969
LR 597 RR 600

Next week we'll be making our Lithium battery kit for the car, should drop a solid 30 pounds off the nose. Exhaust will hopefully be next week too. By the time we get those new mods done and run some fuel out of the car I am targeting 29XX pounds.

Also great news the SCT software is being worked on and should be released soon, I have also paid for it in full! Tunes are coming very soon!

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's awesome to see someone jumping on after-market stuff for the Focus from day 1. Love the knowledge and experience you guys bring to the table. Can't wait to see what you manage to get out of the ST.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Amazing.. I have some of your parts on my Evo 8, cant wait to get my ST an order parts for IT aswell

·
[FJ] Elite Partner
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. It's slow going right now. The shop is busy so it's tough to free up a lift for a few days. One of the next projects is to get the exhaust done for the car. We made some progress on a the air filter today and Jarrod will be putting up a thread, pics and pricing on the new filter we will be offering, maybe tomorrow.

Also, we are very close to having SCT software for tuning and that will come with some nice options, I spoke with them today.

Good things are coming!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts