Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a 1985 ford f150 in about a month or so.
black standard cab stepside with mag wheels. 2wd. 4spd manual.

inline 300cu in (bored to about 330 or something), with new pistons, connecting rods, etc. carburated. runs great.

It's already got tons of torque and stuff... and i wanted the truck because being a new homeowner, i actually have a lot of uses for a truck, and i figure i'll drive it instead of the focus in winter (not in the snow, just in the winter, the focus is still a better snow car, but i want to put minimal sand / salt damage on my main project).

so, do i allocate some modding funds to the truck (ie, header, dual exhaust, stereo, tint, etc)... or keep it like it is, drive it, and put the money into the focus (i dont know what i'm doing next).

btw, the truck is coming out of my vortech supercharger fund

what do you think?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's not a beater, it's in pretty good shape. it's got some rust but nothing i cant handle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Watch for rust over the wheel wells in the rear and at the rear of the cab along the lower edge.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts (sorry, don't have the link handy) is the Ford trucks equivalent of the FJ.
~Paris

(83 F-150 Club Cab 4x4 XLT 302W)

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch for rust over the wheel wells in the rear and at the rear of the cab along the lower edge.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts (sorry, don't have the link handy) is the Ford trucks equivalent of the FJ.
~Paris

yeah, they are notorious for rot over the rear wells. the rocker panels have about a golf ball sized hole (i am pretty sure i can fix it easy), and some areas on the bed are bubbling up with rust. but.. for the year, it's in good shape.

i guess i will see how i feel about it once i get it..
i just noticed that last night i was playing out custom intakes in my head for it... sooo much room under there, and no MAFS to mess up

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If you decide to mod the truck, make sure you check out cliffordperformance.com. I had a 79 short bed that used to suprise a lot of people. Since yours is already bored and has new internals, a cam, dual header and exhaust, and a 4-bbl carb and manifold will give you a real screamer. BTW: there is nothing that souds meaner than an inline 6 with full dual exhaust.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I6's are beautiful powerplants...and I've seen some impressively built ones. I'd say keep it jsut because it's INDESTRUCTIBLE, different, and look at the cubes...v8 guys can't make the argument they make on our cars, plus you'll have a HP/rpm advantage. Sky's the limit HP wise with those. You're prolly not gonna go for broke with this thing I guess, but i'd say mod it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
~Paris

Did u mean www.f150online.com

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Why mod it? It's basically a beater/work truck. Don't sink money into something that you don't plan on keeping around for a while. Personally, if I were going to do any mods to a truck, I'd do mostly suspension and drivetrain stuff and take it off road... Then you can have fun in both terrains.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump.

Okay, it's been a while, but i finally got the seller (a friend) to start the work on it. He wanted to sandblast / reweld any parts of the frame that needs it. So yesterday we took the bed off, and the frame looks in pretty good shape. only one piece was rotted, and it's a peripheral part (not structurally significant) but it's getting fixed anyway. After that is done, it' s gonna get recoated, and the bed goes back on. It's also getting a new muffler.

It's got new rotors, drums, and pads. New starter / solenoid, battery, and battery cables. New Tires. Not too shabby. (for $1000)

Looking at the truck when the bed was off, i realized how... simple the suspension is on the rear. Leaf springs, dampers, and a live rear axle. Wow.

About 2 more weeks, and i should have it on the road. Maybe this will quench my thirst for a new vehicle, and allow me to start something different so i dont get bored with the focus.

As of now, i have plans for fixing the carberator (sp?), which runs fine, just drinks the fuel, a new intake (probably custom), and maybe a new exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts