Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend the Prothane Poly-U "Tranny-Mount" bushings, From Tony D at NewEdgePerformance to anyone who "Gets on the throttle".
Auto or Manual, the gains are still there.
No, an Automatic won't be as quick as the manual, but it'll still see improvement due to the lack of engine "Flex".
The Slack/Slop that is eliminated is a NICE Improvement for 20 bucks, and it's an Easy Swap.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how would i go abou swaping this bushing..........now remember im not a beginer nor am i an expert ........

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EASY Install.
Go under the right side of the car, behind the right-front wheel. Toward the rear of the engine, actually at the tranny, You'll find a junction w/ 4-6 bolts. (I forget exactly how many...)
Several run left-right, and I think I remember a couple running fore-aft.
It's easy to get to and swap. I had no idea going in, and figured it out pretty easily.
NICE improvement. No more "Engine-Slop". If you stand in front of a stock Zetec, and rev it from the T/B, you'll see the engine flex like crazy in the engine-bay.
After the swap, that slop is GONE!!
I highly recommend the Prothane bushing-set from Tony D at New Edge. NICE, Cheap gains.
The hardest part was removing the factory bushings. We used a "Press", but if you don't have access to one, you might be able to make use of a vice and a large socket, or a hammer, piece of wood, and large socket.
It's really not difficult, you just need to "Knock/Press" the old bushings out of their holes. One other thing....After pressing the new bushings into place, (Kinda tricky, but not bad, just get it lined-up well), we had to break out a "Flat-File" for a few. The mount is a 2-piece, and after the swap, the metal inner-sleeve on one of the bushings didn't QUITE want to slide into place easily. A little filing over a smoke/drink break, and all was good.
You'll want the car on jackstands, and use a floor-jack to manipulate the engine a little up/down to get the bolts lined up on re-installation. It took a friend and me about 30 min. total to do the job.
Sorry if this is dis-jointed. I cut and pasted from 2 places where people have asked me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
MichealXi

You were talking about installing these bushings on the dog bone right? (this is a pic of the Z engineering dog bone)

or are you talking about another couple of bushings elsewhere that can be replaced?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Those are the ones.
Unless your metal is broken, why pay them $80-$100 labor to pre-fit the bushings?
It's worth the sweat to go w/ the Prothane "Bushings-Only" and reuse your old "Dog-bone".

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so yesterday i was driveing and i come to a red light put the cra in first gear get ready to go i let off the clutch BANG BANG BANG i was like WTF? i thought i had droped the tranny! so i pull over and have it towed to ford ---- they were closed ao i went this moring and they look over the car................ I SNAPED MY MOTER MOUNT AND THE TRANSMISSION MOUNT .......... ohh well my service advisor is dope as hell so he hooks it up....... scared me pretty bad though!!! ---------now that they are replaceing the mounts should i get the Z enginearing mounts? or energy suspension? help please

************update*************

well folk i go to ford today to pick up my car and my service advisor told me they came across more problems than expested......... turn out it wasent the moter mounts or the transmission mouns ITS THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION there going to replace the unite with a compleatly new transmission........ its being sent to them from detroit so that should take a long time and the install is gonna take a long time so im out of a car for a long time........ but i can honestly say i dont blame ford. i was very hard on the tranny and i know not to do what i did anymore ..... im just luckey my parrents got me the 6 year 100000 mile warrenty! yay!!!! well wish me luck for new tranny----new clutch here i come

[ 09-23-2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: zx3ford ]

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
would this be beneficial for the automagic???

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by PGZX3:
would this be beneficial for the automagic???
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well im not sure but im gonna have to say no--- the auto isant shifting that fast--when i say that i mean as in speed shifting-- power shifting----

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
coo, I'll spend my $$ elsewhere then
Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
i used the energy suspension mounts on my focus, install isnt hard but having a press, vice and rubber mallet will speed up things greatly. for the first couple days after the install there was a bit of vibration in the steering wheel its gone, sounds different when you start it, just because the engine dosent move, i have my idle set to about 900 rpm because of the fc tb, so i have no probs when turning on the ac. i like my es bushings just fine ( got them form Tony D )

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I will be doing this install as soon as I come across the $$ to do so, might go sell some CDs

gotta get my install fix, though I should hold off to prolong the effects
All the mods I have left are too pricey

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I installed the Energy suspension bushings last weekend. Very easy install less than 20min. Overall I'm very happy with the results I just need to get the idle raised a little.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It took them 30+ days to get my transmission....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts