Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a parking lot the other day and saw a Cougar C2 and looked inside and saw that the reverse lockout was an aluminum look. I have the same shift knob that came in the C2 on my car and I would like the lockout to match. I think the Cougar has the same shifter (maybe I'm wrong) so wouldn't it fit? Does anyone have a price or part# for this piece, I looked on fordpartsonline.com but couldn't find it. Thank you in advance...

Bryan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here are some part numbers:

1S8Z-7213-BB KNOB
1S8Z-7210-AC ACTUATOR

These are from an old Contour.org thread, and I had upgraded these parts on my '98 Contour SE.

The KNOB is a Cougar knob; identical in look to a 2000 Focus ZX3 knob, but in leather and aluminium instead of plastic.

The ACTUATOR is the reverse lock-out mechanism, in Aluminium .

On the Contour shifter, the actuator was too short (5" instead of the original's 5 11/16"), so I had to cut & retread the shaft. Looked pretty nice

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you patvan... Does the actuator (lockout) still work if I don't cut down my lever? Would the top of the lockout stick out from the bottom of the knob? Thank you again for the help.

Bryan

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you patvan... Does the actuator (lockout) still work if I don't cut down my lever? Would the top of the lockout stick out from the bottom of the knob? Thank you again for the help.

Bryan
The lockout & the lever must be matched pretty close. If the lever's too long, then the lockout won't reach up to the knob. That's mostly esthetic.

If the lever's too short, then you won't be able to pull the lockout high enough to actually go into reverse

I did this on a Contour; and the Contour and Cougar don't share the same lever height. Hopefully, the Focus and Cougar do so you wouldn't have to modify anything.

The lockout mechanism should be pretty easy to remove and compare, if you have that possibility. If it matches the Cougar's height (noted above), you're in business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts