Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading all the threads I could find here and on Focus Fanatics about CAI. Now I understand that it allows for a 8-10+ HP boost... I am undecided on which one to get.

I have been watching this site --> http://members.cox.net/duratecparts/ <-- to see which one I should get...

I really like the pricing of the Marcy and Focus Sport one. $300 for a CAI seems a bit steep to me, unless there is some unknown bonus to it.

I finally got the pricing on the AEM CAI - Part # 21-452... $313.75 from my local Thrifty Auto Parts...

On another note I have been considering doing the Cosworth stage kits. Should I just wait and get the stage 1 kit with the CAI included?? or should I purchase a Marcy one now?

Thanks for reading this...

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I'd say if you are going to get the Cosworth Stage 1, there is no need to get anyone's CAI right now, you'll just have to sell it as a used (read less than what you paid for it) price when you get around to the Cosworth kit. If you are undecided, take a look at what Walter (MarcyMotorsport) is achieving with his car right now. That's what you can do without the Cosworth kits. So, If it were me, and I was broke (oh wait, I am broke) I'd just pick up a CAI for now. If I knew I was coming into cash within the next year, I'd save up for the big bang.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Also check with F2focus.com They have a CAI very similar to Cosworths. Both F2 CAI and Cosworth has a removable MAF Sleeve for future updates and mods.

F2 is less money then Cosworths.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Why is that CAI hard mounted to the car's subframe?

Do you have solid motor mounts?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Why is that CAI hard mounted to the car's subframe?

Do you have solid motor mounts?
No, I have OEM motor mounts.

I have no idea why it's mounted....It just came that way

But it is secured.

The main reason why is that Flex Turbo Hose will not be able to hold the weight of the unit on it's own. It's secured with that bolt to the subframe, along with another bolt under the fender.

·
19,806 Posts
The reason I ask is that the motor moves fore and aft quite a bit with the OE mounts.

That piece of red silicone hose at the throttle body does not flex enough for that range of motion.

Perhaps you'll keep an eye on that CAI's mount bracket for signs of fatigue and cracking.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Don't Most CAI Mount some where close to there?

I know Cosworth's does. It also looks like does as well Focus Sports CAI, But, I'll keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The reason I ask is that the motor moves fore and aft quite a bit with the OE mounts.

That piece of red silicone hose at the throttle body does not flex enough for that range of motion.

Perhaps you'll keep an eye on that CAI's mount bracket for signs of fatigue and cracking.
Yeah, it's really amazing how much the motor moves around isn't it good sir.

I know the intake I'm using has a flex mount, doesn't yours too?

·
19,806 Posts
Yes, it does, Sir.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have been reading all the threads I could find here and on Focus Fanatics about CAI. Now I understand that it allows for a 8-10+ HP boost... I am undecided on which one to get.

I have been watching this site --> http://members.cox.net/duratecparts/ <-- to see which one I should get...

I really like the pricing of the Marcy and Focus Sport one. $300 for a CAI seems a bit steep to me, unless there is some unknown bonus to it.

I finally got the pricing on the AEM CAI - Part # 21-452... $313.75 from my local Thrifty Auto Parts...

On another note I have been considering doing the Cosworth stage kits. Should I just wait and get the stage 1 kit with the CAI included?? or should I purchase a Marcy one now?

Thanks for reading this...
But, I would say you can't go wrong with the Cosworth or F2s, But are very simular. Also the F2 CAI will be the only CAI that will be allowed in the Spec Focus Series.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts

I know Cosworth's does.
Cosworth's bracket attaches to a hole on the underside of that frame rail where the CAI tube makes it's 90º turn, just before the filter. It uses a long bolt and a thick rubber busing to allow for the CAI to move with the engine as opposed to the fixed mount on yours.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,604 Posts

I know Cosworth's does.
Cosworth's bracket attaches to a hole on the underside of that frame rail where the CAI tube makes it's 90º turn, just before the filter. It uses a long bolt and a thick rubber busing to allow for the CAI to move with the engine as opposed to the fixed mount on yours.

>8^)
ER
Gotcha, Thanks..... F2 also has one down there as well. I guess I can remove the top one.

·
8,054 Posts

I know Cosworth's does.

>8^)
ER
As does the MM CAI. Good catch Chris. Never would've noticed it had it not been for your keen mojo eyehole.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Just to let everyone know. All F2 CAI comes with a thick rubber mount. Mine was one of the prototypes.

But for everyone who is concern for the mounting... All F2 CAI has a rubber mount.

Thanks for the catch. I would want people to think F2 sold Inferior product.

As a matter fact, you can see it on the web photo

·
8,054 Posts
Does it have rubber at both mounting points, or only the lower one?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Too just make things clear it uses two rubber busing mounts. The first prototypes were different until we were happy with the design. Finally we went with both rubber bushing mounts.

·
8,054 Posts
Oh, cool. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, thanks for all the replies to everything... never though this thread would go so far as people taking actual photos... heh...

I am still debating which intake to get... perhaps a poll?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts