Ford Focus Forum banner

CAI Question... and Cosworth Questions...

1K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  DamageInc 
#1 ·
I have been reading all the threads I could find here and on Focus Fanatics about CAI. Now I understand that it allows for a 8-10+ HP boost... I am undecided on which one to get.

I have been watching this site --> http://members.cox.net/duratecparts/ <-- to see which one I should get...

I really like the pricing of the Marcy and Focus Sport one. $300 for a CAI seems a bit steep to me, unless there is some unknown bonus to it.

I finally got the pricing on the AEM CAI - Part # 21-452... $313.75 from my local Thrifty Auto Parts...

On another note I have been considering doing the Cosworth stage kits. Should I just wait and get the stage 1 kit with the CAI included?? or should I purchase a Marcy one now?

Thanks for reading this...

#2 ·
I'd say if you are going to get the Cosworth Stage 1, there is no need to get anyone's CAI right now, you'll just have to sell it as a used (read less than what you paid for it) price when you get around to the Cosworth kit. If you are undecided, take a look at what Walter (MarcyMotorsport) is achieving with his car right now. That's what you can do without the Cosworth kits. So, If it were me, and I was broke (oh wait, I am broke) I'd just pick up a CAI for now. If I knew I was coming into cash within the next year, I'd save up for the big bang.

#5 ·
Why is that CAI hard mounted to the car's subframe?

Do you have solid motor mounts?
No, I have OEM motor mounts.

I have no idea why it's mounted....It just came that way

But it is secured.

The main reason why is that Flex Turbo Hose will not be able to hold the weight of the unit on it's own. It's secured with that bolt to the subframe, along with another bolt under the fender.

#6 ·
The reason I ask is that the motor moves fore and aft quite a bit with the OE mounts.

That piece of red silicone hose at the throttle body does not flex enough for that range of motion.

Perhaps you'll keep an eye on that CAI's mount bracket for signs of fatigue and cracking.

#8 ·
The reason I ask is that the motor moves fore and aft quite a bit with the OE mounts.

That piece of red silicone hose at the throttle body does not flex enough for that range of motion.

Perhaps you'll keep an eye on that CAI's mount bracket for signs of fatigue and cracking.
Yeah, it's really amazing how much the motor moves around isn't it good sir.

I know the intake I'm using has a flex mount, doesn't yours too?

#10 ·
I have been reading all the threads I could find here and on Focus Fanatics about CAI. Now I understand that it allows for a 8-10+ HP boost... I am undecided on which one to get.

I have been watching this site --> http://members.cox.net/duratecparts/ <-- to see which one I should get...

I really like the pricing of the Marcy and Focus Sport one. $300 for a CAI seems a bit steep to me, unless there is some unknown bonus to it.

I finally got the pricing on the AEM CAI - Part # 21-452... $313.75 from my local Thrifty Auto Parts...

On another note I have been considering doing the Cosworth stage kits. Should I just wait and get the stage 1 kit with the CAI included?? or should I purchase a Marcy one now?

Thanks for reading this...
But, I would say you can't go wrong with the Cosworth or F2s, But are very simular. Also the F2 CAI will be the only CAI that will be allowed in the Spec Focus Series.

#11 ·
Don't Most CAI Mount some where close to there?

I know Cosworth's does.
Cosworth's bracket attaches to a hole on the underside of that frame rail where the CAI tube makes it's 90º turn, just before the filter. It uses a long bolt and a thick rubber busing to allow for the CAI to move with the engine as opposed to the fixed mount on yours.

>8^)
ER

#12 ·

I know Cosworth's does.
Cosworth's bracket attaches to a hole on the underside of that frame rail where the CAI tube makes it's 90º turn, just before the filter. It uses a long bolt and a thick rubber busing to allow for the CAI to move with the engine as opposed to the fixed mount on yours.

>8^)
ER
Gotcha, Thanks..... F2 also has one down there as well. I guess I can remove the top one.

#13 ·

I know Cosworth's does.

>8^)
ER
As does the MM CAI. Good catch Chris. Never would've noticed it had it not been for your keen mojo eyehole.

#14 ·
Just to let everyone know. All F2 CAI comes with a thick rubber mount. Mine was one of the prototypes.

But for everyone who is concern for the mounting... All F2 CAI has a rubber mount.

Thanks for the catch. I would want people to think F2 sold Inferior product.

As a matter fact, you can see it on the web photo

#17 ·
Too just make things clear it uses two rubber busing mounts. The first prototypes were different until we were happy with the design. Finally we went with both rubber bushing mounts.

#20 ·
wow, thanks for all the replies to everything... never though this thread would go so far as people taking actual photos... heh...

I am still debating which intake to get... perhaps a poll?

#21 ·
Polls not going to work. People are too biased and for a poll to work properly, you would need people who have tried different products and could give you an informed decision. Everyone here will say that theirs is the best. Except for me. I bought mine for a specific reason, actually two, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. I don't know if its the best, but its the only one like it on the market and I bought it because of one feature that made my decision for me.

Now if it didn't have feature"x", I'd say your best bet is to look at dyno charts and pricing and go from there.

#22 ·
We have the Cosworth, well.. because our car was a test-fit/Tech Install Story for the upcoming Focus Fanatic. But the Cosworth CAI is beautiful, and very lightweight. If I didn't have that on the car, I'd have the FocusSport or the Marcy intake. We had the FS intake on the sedan, but that was way back when there wasn't much available for the 2.3L. Just with the intake and the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust on that car we were impressed.

To each their own, as far as performance goes. It's what YOU want is what matters.

Luckily we have quite a few choices for our cars, and all are equally effective. And we also are blessed with a forum that is composed of people who really can offer good information. It's not a bunch of hearsay and hype like some of the Honda forums tend to be.

#24 ·
ok ok... what I want is the best HP/Torque increase for the $$$... I like the pricing on the MM CAI (its the cheapest), and have looked at the Dyno graphs for MM, FS, F2 and Cosworth... they all seem pretty much the same...

On each of these which ones have the rubber piece that allows for movement of the CAI, where earlier in the thread it showed one mounted to the frame via metal :S

#26 ·
and have looked at the Dyno graphs for MM, FS, F2 and Cosworth... they all seem pretty much the same...
They basically are pretty much the same. The differences on an otherwise stock engine are so small that it's impossible to tell them apart from variations in air temperature or who was operating the dyno. I would say that the following method should lead you to the intake best for you:

1) How much power do you expect to make when your car is "finished"? If less than 200 whp, the MM/FS design will be fine. If over 200 whp, the Cosworth/F2 style's changeable MAF housing may be a good idea.

2) If you're looking at the MM/FS design, decide which air filter you like better. MM uses a K&N filter, which is basically the best gauze element you can buy, and their intake is a bit cheaper. However, some people swear by the foam ITG element used in the FS intake. You may want to research the difference in foam and gauze filters.

3) If you're looking for more power, the obvious difference between Cosworth and F2 is price. Both should perform similarly, but the F2 is considerably less expensive. However, Cosworth carries a significant "bling" advantage. Their name is certainly quite well-known, and their intake is more attractive than any of the other designs (IMO).

That's the major differences, told as objectively as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.