Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets just say that im driving down a road, in my zx3 and my CAS intake with bypass valve, at about 75mph (about 3500rpm), its pouring out and its night time. I dont noticed the 4inch deep puddle in the middle of the road, and I hit it a full force (huge splash). Now the question, would the intake of the car suck in any water that could affect my cars engine or perfomance?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
let's put it this way - I had my AEM CAI with bypass and splashshield for 1 year. I lived in PA, where it rains a [censored] load, and I NEVER had any problems with water. and yes, I had to drive through some roads with a [censored] load of water on them...hope that helps...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question but the splash sheild is the metal cover over the filter(right) doesnt that cover restrain the air flow

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bypass is a huge advantage. I had an Eclipse without the bypass, pulled out of a parking lot, through a deep puddle, and said good-bye to the engine. It hydro-locked, snapped a rod, and busted the block.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The bypass really only works when the filter is completely submerged under water. Only then will the engine break suction from the intake and go through the bypass valve.

Its best to just drive with common sense, and dont drive through water that you cant judge how deep it is.

Occasional splashes shouldnt create any problems, its only when the filter is submerged under water that will / have created problems with peoples Foci.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts