Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAI\'s

hey everyone, i am thinking about buying a BOMZ CAI but i live in a snowy, wet area and i am wondering if anyone makes or has custom made a splash guard or something like that to help prevent water and snow from getting into the intake. anyone from the southern michigan, northern ohio area that has a CAI or comparable weather area have an answer?

G

·
0 Posts
Re: CAI\'s

Count me in that as well, I'm thinking of making one myself but if someone has done it and would like to provide instructions or sell the shield I'll take it

Injen has one for their short ram for honda cars, it's to protect the heat though, I bet it's not cheap. or, if you want to spend less $$$ you can buy the ractive filter with the cone shield as well they are like $40 a piece. But I need something cheap & functional and look doesn't matter since it's down there

=dRe=

·
Registered
384 Posts

AEM bypass filter.
Its like $30.00-$40.00. Check it out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

the BOMZ comes with the AEM bypass but it doesn't say or look like a filter. do you have a pic of the AEM filter?

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts

This is a pic of the AEM Bypass filter... it fits between the two pieces of intke tubing. easy install, and gives me some peace of mind. I have it on my car, and I just feel a lot better haveing it with the rain and snow we get in Michigan.

ENJOY!

·
Registered
402 Posts

Im from Oregon and i make a cover for the filter. but most people dont like it cause i vented the side of my bumper. We have really wet weather here. about 300 days of rain. lol. i have a new splash box im making though that doesnt require a vented bumper. Pm me if you are interested?

·
Registered
48 Posts

EggYolk, with your bypass between the two sections of pipe, does the metal tube to the left (A/C or something) rub against the bypass? It does on mine, and seems to be wearing through the foam... I may have to do without the bypass.

·
Registered
798 Posts

Originally posted by mcs7865:
AEM bypass filter.
Its like $30.00-$40.00. Check it out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was thinking of ordering one but had a concern. The bypass valve doesnt go into effect till the filter is totally submerged. What if a bit of water splashes up, but no where near enough for the bypass to open? A splash guard would be nice then.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Originally posted by EggYolk_Zetec_ZX3:
This is a pic of the AEM Bypass filter... it fits between the two pieces of intke tubing.!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's only if you don't like following directions.

The bypass valve is normally installed on the straight pipe right before the MAF (you have to get the upper pipe cut in half and trimmed)

I guess you could use it at the junction, but it's still low enough to catch water. if the filter is clogged with enough water (meaning totally submerged) it will suck water 1 foot or more into the intake pipe before the bypass valve activates.

In anycase, the main thing you'd have to worry about is your intake being ripped off in a snow bank.

I'm trying to sell the bypass valve I have. anyone want it.

[ 01-01-2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Banned
227 Posts

A drop of water isnt going to do a thing.

The only concern you should have is if you suck up nonthing BUT water. Then you should be scare. But a few drops isnt going do a thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts

hey if anyone is interested I'm selling my AEM CAI for $180 with the bypass valve. I'm going on to bigger better things...
...JRSC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts