Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."
If that's true, that's pretty F'd up.

I don't see where any 'ticket' would hold up in court when the reason for writing the ticket was completely subjective.

You know what's funny though...I wonder if the aftermarket industry will eventually move towards "stealth". Maybe, just maybe, someday it will be cool to have a car that is the complete opposite of today's rice. All go no show may be the next big thing.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
this has always been a law...and its not only in cali, its everywhere u go..not new by any means

its called noise pollution, and they can ticket u anywhere for too much noise from stereo's, screaching tires (but will probably take u for "unsafe driving practices") and even exhasut noise.

its up to the officer to determine if it is too loud when either called to the scene from a complaint or simply hearing it himself.

but like many of the laws in the US, they can easily be beat by certification stickers sayin the exhaust is legal, or even getting your exhaust/stereo getting read by a decibel reader to prove it is not beyond the limit (which is very high)

really wouldn't wry too much about it if u are running exhaust and such. if ur running a race header and no cat (and emissions call for a cat)...u should definitely run a stealth exhaust just to save u grief

but FYI, u guys in cali have it the worse sry to say, and i have for a while...and its not going to get better. the cops out there are really targeting any modified car becuase of their association with street racing, even if u dont.

so stealth exhaust would definitely be on my car if i was out there, but thats only because i dont wana hassle with the pig.

-chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well noise polution isn't new obviously, but ticketing people because the cars "appear" to be modified for racing is. Here in MD(at least down where I live) loud cars are extremely common, and nobody seems to care. Most people are reasonable about it, and keep it quiet at night in residental areas, so the cops leave it alone.

Most of the guys at the track still run open headers, which is extremely loud, and in my opinion completely unessisary on an 11/12 second car(and that's the vast majority of them). There are occasional complaints about that, but that's it.

This is the first I've heard of anything like this though, and if it makes its way in this direction you can be sure I'll be very vocal about my disapproval with my local rep.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
This has been talked about a lot in the slowcal and on another norcal board that I go on. It sucks, but.... What ya going to do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Protest? Have the law removed? Remove the people who passed it? There is alot that can be done, people just need to get motivated(and organized).

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
This has been talked about a lot in the slowcal and on another norcal board that I go on. It sucks, but.... What ya going to do?
Loby to change the law?

Need I even bring up the motorcycle and muscle car factor? I know, where's the pic of the horse in the windshield of a Focus...

I used to live in Carlisle, PA where they have about a dozen car shows a year. Spring, summer and fall generic all brand shows. Ford, Dodge, & Chevy brand specific shows. An import and kit car show. A Corvette show. A truck show. And even a motorcycle show. Then they added a "Custom Compact" show. All of these shows are relatively large. Hundreds of vendors and thousands of cars. So, each weekend we'd have cars of all sorts romping around the local streets making noise. But for some reason, nobody EVER gets pulled over and ticked for loud exhause in a muscle car or a motorcycle. But a buzzy little 4 banger will get pulled over and ticked for all sorts of things.

FYI - The Custom Compact crowd did a good job at living up to their reputation since a few years ago, after simply too much chaos, the town of Carlisle pretty much told the organizers not to hold any more Custom Compact shows in Carlisle. I think they had issued something like 300 tickets that weekend.

You know what's real funny...Just this week, I actually caught myself downshifting and opening up the throttle such that my vented to atmosphere wastegate would open while passing a police car going in the other direction. Just to see if he would give me a second look. But he didn't. Maybe its because my car looks 100% bone stock. Either that or he was running low on donuts.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
don't even get me started on that biased piece-o-crap legislature.

join SAN (SEMA Action Network) and start labboying. That's all we can do.

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No kidding, I'm not even in Cali and it makes me angry.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
people this is not new...

cali has had a task force for 'street racing' for years now, and they dont just target racers, but modified cars

everything from measuring the height of ur headlights to the ground (lowering ticketing) to colored lights, to certification (CARB) stickers..

its amazing everyone hasn't heard bout this stuff before...especially the ones who live in cali

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Yep I have been on a few ridealongs and my friend is always cool to the "streetracers" unless he catches them in the act. Then they are screwed. He's determined to curb street racing in the area that he patrols because a good friend of ours was killed at the races several years ago. BTW he drives a slightly modded SRT4.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Yep I have been on a few ridealongs and my friend is always cool to the "streetracers" unless he catches them in the act. Then they are screwed. He's determined to curb street racing in the area that he patrols because a good friend of ours was killed at the races several years ago. BTW he drives a slightly modded SRT4.
see that is why i respect police. they are just doing their job, and a lot of them are car guys too. its just the jerks that blow it for the cop majority.
..i mean i was hanging out with state troopers while they were draggin their police camaro at englishtown (the camaro that resides in my town
)

if ur good to them, they'll reciprocate...everyonce in a while u'll get a jerkcop, just gotta deal

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts

cali has had a task force for 'street racing' for years now, and they dont just target racers, but modified cars

everything from measuring the height of ur headlights to the ground (lowering ticketing) to colored lights, to certification (CARB) stickers..

its amazing everyone hasn't heard bout this stuff before...especially the ones who live in cali
Right, but this has moved far far beyond exhaust, or any "race" modifications to the car. Yes, we all know about standard laws (exhaust, ride height, stereos, etc.) but read the article. They are looking for stuff to pull you over for that isn't related to standard code. They are looking at things like tint and decals. Tell me how that fits into illegally modified cars or street racing, cause that's the part I can't figure out. According to the article, the police have stated that they can and will pull you over for having tint or graphics and those two things give them probable cause to search your engine bay.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
The SoCal Thread:

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...ge=0#2417004945

Feel free to join SAN (SEMA Action Network) and help out with this. This doesn't involve just California. Once the junk starts rolling here, it'll start rolling to your neck of the woods. The more people that get involved, the more chance we can get to uphold our rights.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
$5 million in federal money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the Calfiornia Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."
WHY are there not harassment law suits going on in cali.

ANY law where a “penalty” is a means to generate income for the government is a BAD thing. It’s an excuse to take advantage of people in the name of “justice.”

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

Right, but this has moved far far beyond exhaust, or any "race" modifications to the car. Yes, we all know about standard laws (exhaust, ride height, stereos, etc.) but read the article. They are looking for stuff to pull you over for that isn't related to standard code. They are looking at things like tint and decals. Tell me how that fits into illegally modified cars or street racing, cause that's the part I can't figure out. According to the article, the police have stated that they can and will pull you over for having tint or graphics and those two things give them probable cause to search your engine bay.
no i mean, DRAG-NET has been around for a while now. That and this article is nothing new, thats why its blowing my mind.

I mean i saw a MTV production of TrueLife: I'm a Street Racer, showed DRAG-NET 2years ago

its nothing new, been around for a while and the fight is gettin better and better. SEMA is a class act group, and are fighting to all ends to keep their market and i find it admirable. Thats why i want to work for them in the future.

but street racers blow it for everyone, if they were intelligent and just took it to the track, there would be none of this. but i guess the gene pool must skip few souls.

o and FYI, there are many lawsuits out there, hundreds fighting this and individual harrasment for modification. There are many lawyers who only take these cases in Cali because it is so popular, and many are modify'ers themselves. (sportcompactcar article 1 year ago)

-chris

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Loby to change the law?
join SAN (SEMA Action Network) and start labboying
Yah... cuz legislators are going to take a bunch of miscreants that can't spell "lobby" very seriously.
You may now officially go F yourself you Pompous Opinionated Bastard!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I have no issue with the police, my issue is with the legislators who pass this kind of garbage. This is just an excuse to generate more revenue for the state at the expense of auto enthusiasts. (I CANNOT spell today). Anyway, this is a joke, and a really bad one at that. Just because california(and just about every other state) can't properly manage the funds they are given is not an excuse to find more ways to harrass and tax it's citizenship.

I'll look into joining SEMA, if for no other reason than to keep an eye on this law in particular. I also read that they reciently passed a law in MA to make any visible attempt to modify a vehicles exhaust in order to make it louder (ie fart cans) illegal.

This was passed in response to people complaining about the F&F croud reving their engines at 2:00am and waking people up. Which for me is a classic example of how NOT to fix a problem. They should have just passed a noise ordience law(if there wasn't one already, and I'm sure there was) and enforced it, rather than going after everyone with an aftermarket muffler on their car.

As usual it takes one moron to screw things up for the rest of us, and one even bigger idiot in office to make it worse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts