Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here passed smog using an aftermarket cat or a highflow cat? I'm only asking about tailpipe measured emissions test and not visual inspection. I have a broken stud on the flange between header and cat which is causing an exhaust leak.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I have passed in the past with a HFC but it was on a zetec several years ago! Depending on the shop you may fail with that leak though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Previous owner said it barely passed with the leak. I figured I would replace with an HFC since it looks like OEM cat is freaking $1000 or so.

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts
Sounds like you have an SVT. Forget passing with an HFC on there. I would track down a used one or see if someone will let you use theirs for the test while you're trying to find one.

·
7,494 Posts
^^^That. You won't pass either. DEFINITELY not the tailpipe test, and if the tech bothers to look under your car, the HFCs stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up just getting my cat pipe repaired. I got tired of sounding like a ricer at WOT and most importantly the exhaust fume stink. Replaced stud for $45 bucks rather than $500-$1000 for a whole new cat.

·
7,494 Posts
I wish I had re-read your original post. I had no clue the fix was as simple as a broken stud. My advice would have been to replace it an be done. Yes, a simple fix. Irks me they charged you $45. If that included fixing it while on the car, then that price wasn't bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah they did the repair with it on the car. But really I was just trying to find justification for mods. Really can't justify doing any engine related mods on this car but handling will come soon.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good thing you got it fixed but I have passd with a HFC before
Both sniffer and visual , smog shops dont know crap about a Svt
Or what the Stock cat looks like they see the cat under the oil pan and that's it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts