Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a routineish brake job, come to find out the front left caliper-assembly(any idea what the real name is?) the 2 bolts that screw into it were mis-threaded on the assembly side. the safest option is to buy a new assembly? does anyone know what this part is called, model #'s anything. Or if you know how the suspension is connected with this piece. We are planning to just buy a new part and tow it to a shop and have them replace it due to lack of experience with it. I'll try and post pictures if I can find it.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
The part is called the steering knuckle. Make sure to buy a new one that comes with the bearing and studs already installed. To remove the old one, take off the 32mm nut in the center and use a hammer to coax the knuckle off if its stuck. You can also use a good jaw puller.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tons of thanks for the quick reply. Would a ford dealer sell me this part? any idea about the cost? Annd what is behind that hub, just a bearing? is the suspension going to be an issue? Sorry for all the questions I don't want to mess it up worse than it is..
Thank you

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
The bearing is pressed into the knuckle. The knuckle attaches to the half shaft. The suspension componants that attach to the knuckle are the strut (on top) the control arm (ball joint on the bottom) and the tie rod (ball joint n the side) I forgot to list these in my removal instructions. In order to seperate them from the knuckle (balljoints) you need a pickle fork (balljoint sperator) it looks like a large 2 pronged fork. first remove the bolts holding the ball joints in place. they are located in the knuckle, just behind the joint. then you slide the pickle fork between the knuckle and the control arm or tie rod end and pop it apart.

the strut is held in place by a pinch bolt. It goes thru the knuckle, behind the strut. remove the pinch bolt and then push the knuckle down to free the strut. Do this before you seperate the ball joints. I usually stomp on the knuckle to get the strut out. Dont be afraid of it, you have to use some force.

yes a ford dealer will sell you the part. You should be be able to find it at napa also.

for the best ford prices on parts: www.1stfordparts.com

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hey just get a tap kit and redo the threadd, or make the hole bigger and do the threads for a bigger bolt. You don't have to pay all that cash and work for a stripped bolt hole. Good luck

www.bluewhippet.net

When it comes to a brake caliper bolt, this is HIGHLY NOT recmoneded. THe best way is to replace the knuckle. I picked one up at a junk yard for $25.

Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, we didn't want to tap it because of the location. I didn't want to brake and have my front end get torn off lol ;P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts