Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am starting to get really frustrated here, I need suspension help, and anything you can give me, I appreciate it!!

I want an adjustable coilover kit made form a material that won't freakin rust. I would also like a drop in the range of 2.5" to 3". I like low cars, it's an addiction I guess, but I want it to be low and functional, not riding on bump-stops ricer style.

I am willing to spend some doh to get what I want, but i'm not buying something that is going to rust/corrode, $2200 for drummonds, they wouldn't rust right? WRONG. The KW's are stainless, but their adjustability isn't what I want.

AM I just screwed or what? I couldn't find what material the hotbits or ledas are made from. Plus you can never actually find any info on the focus specific kit. So I am coming here, you guys give me your opinions and my options if I freakin have any?

I appreciate everyones help, thank you

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
My Ground Controls don't show any signs of rust, but I live on the west coast, so I can't speak for how they would survive on the east coast.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Ground Controls don't show any signs of rust, but I live on the west coast, so I can't speak for how they would survive on the east coast.
Yeah, their aluminum, but their just the threaded bodies though, not the entire assembly, I'm sure you dampers are rusting, especially if their koni's. I have a Ground Control/Koni setup on one of my Taurus SHOs and never had a prob with rust when I was in Colorado, but as soon as I hit PA boy it attacked everything.

Thanks tho

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
My dampers seem to be fine as well, after years of use. Must just be the different atmosphere on the west coast.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
H&R coilovers and no rusting at all. Oxidation but no rusting. 4" frt 3" rear and nothing ricer about my car.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I can't really speak to rusting too much from down here in TN either, but I'd say your options really come down to H&R, HotBits, and Leda.
I KNOW the HotBits provide Rally-Proven Durability, but I know nothing of how they deal w/ a few seasons of road salt.
I wish I could help more...

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Oh I have had mine for 4 years now and never a problem.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
H&R PCS Coilovers installed for ~3yrs now - no rust or oxidation. Of course its only been driven 4000 miles for those 3 years and it sits in a garage otherwise.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
What if you made a point to hose them off after every drive in the winter? I mean, I know that's a major PITA, but if it protects your $2G suspension, I'd consider it.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
What if you made a point to hose them off after every drive in the winter? I mean, I know that's a major PITA, but if it protects your $2G suspension, I'd consider it.
I would think that because if you did that in winter, you would be putting your car in the middle of a sheet of ice.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Only if the water is FLASH FREEZING!! We're talking about PA here, not the arctic,

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Only if the water is FLASH FREEZING!! We're talking about PA here, not the arctic,
OK, I guess. I know that here in North Carolina, in the middle of winter, that if I were to park my car in my driveway when I got home after work, hose it off, when I went out to it in the morning, the water that was left would be ice. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am wondering that as well. Height + compression + rebound should satisfy most tuning requirements.
Are you looking for a super low ride height ?

Albert

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am wondering that as well. Height + compression + rebound should satisfy most tuning requirements.
Are you looking for a super low ride height ?

Albert
Hey, first off, thanks to eveyone for the input, I appreciate it.

Yeah they advertise the KWs @ I think 2.5 drop in the front and 2.1 in the rear. I would like 3" all the way around, but maybe I'm just gonna have to suck it up and get something close to what I want.

Those salt tests were amazingly scary.

I'll have to look into that HR race set, I didnt think they went that low?

Well, keep the info coming if anyone has anything else,

Thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

LOL, yes it would freeze tho, it stays pretty dang cold here in the winter

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The H&R Race Springs are only 2" drop, but the H&R Coilovers go lower.
Remember, there's only 4" of travel to begin with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The H&R Race Springs are only 2" drop, but the H&R Coilovers go lower.
Remember, there's only 4" of travel to begin with.
Yeah the damper body is shortened at least an inch or two so you still have the same amount of shock travel once lowered.

Their is an open thread right below this one about the GAZ coil over suspension. I was trying to figure out how much the damper is shortened, but no one knows

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
GaryK might know about the GAZ length. (See the Auto-X/Road Race/Rally Forum).
He's had them.
They got destroyed, but lasted longer than anything that he had previously.
He's currently on one of the models of KW.
Those GAZ took an awful lot of abuse before death, and I'd buy them based on what he and others put them through. He may well be able to give you a measurement though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts