Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whether you have the FIPK Gen II kit or the so called "Offroad AirCharger" I have a few questions I need answered;

1) Both kits are exactly the same in design, so does the FocusSport front stress bar fit okay with the FIPK kit?

2) What were the approximate HP gains?

3) Was the install easy, any other things to aware of?

4) Is it true there is another "revised" version coming out soon?

I am on the Martel Bros. webpage now, about to purchase one. All replies greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
508 Posts
1. I don't know
2. When it first came out someone posted a Dyno sheet showing 7-10Hp, I haven't seen it since so I don't know if it is reproducable gains.
3. Don't have one, don't know.
4. Likely, they recently canged their part number to "-1" which implies that there will be a "-2" coming out.. I have contacted them about this issue but haver not heard a response.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, that doesn't help

as for the different part #'s, as per K&N, the -1 and -2 mean what year(s) they are compatible for. -1 implying 2001 models and -2 for 2002. I asked Martel Bros, if it makes a difference in which part I get, they said the -# is only for the "code" of the year of it's application.

It's either the K&N or Iceman! Help me out. (if you know where to obtain a new Red iceman, please let me know)

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: FrescoFoci ]</p>

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by raitchison:
1. I don't know
2. When it first came out someone posted a Dyno sheet showing 7-10Hp, I haven't seen it since so I don't know if it is reproducable gains.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ditto these 2.
I HAVE one. Yes it ROCKS!!!

No need for a front strutbar, so I have NO IDEA about the fit.
EASY Installation. Very few tools needed. Good hardware/Install-Concept.
I'm not too sure about the part #'s. Originally it was marketed as being for Manual Trannies ONLY. Maybe they've done something to make it "Automatic-Compatible"??
I'd buy it if I were you. Mine has satisfied me IMMENSELY!!

[ 04-04-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: MichaelXi ]

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Modern Performance IS a good Company.
I purchased MY k&nFIPK from Martel Bros. however.
Great Service from them as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the FIPK as well and I really enjoy it. i have heard that the strut bar will not work, however I have never tried. The installation was a breeze and the sound difference ini the engine is impressive; finally sounds like my focus has a pair!
i would highly recommend it. i just wish I could dyno mine.
I bought mine from focusperformance.com
The auto and standard versions are exactly the same, so i just bought the auto version for $199.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok lemme ask those who have posted or yet to post, how much gap would you say is between the heat shield and the fuse box? If you can post a pic or 2 of the heat shield next to the box that would be beneficial!! I don't want to spend over $200 and find out that the FIPK will not work with my strut bar!

Thanks!

P.S - Is it me or did K&N design the heat shield arse-backwards? It should look like the FS way, not a shield next to a fuse box!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Volant and I would think K&N is close to the same as far as install. There are no rubber groments to attach to the body as with the stock, so you should be able to rotate the air box just a bit and the stress bar will fit nicely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like my K&N FIPK. It sounds good and performs good. The stock air tube is still used and the ehat shield helps because i haven't had the typical problems of short ram air intakes.

Get it. At 4500 RPM it feels and sounds like V-TEC with my exhaust.

You can do some ghetto fixes to make it work with the stress bar. Install is easy

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies.. Still looking for some close-up pictures of the FIPK next to the fuse box.

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok if you were to modify the backing of the heat shield it will fit. but only if you do that, i tried to fit the focussport stress bar on it, and wouldn't fit, it was way too close! you would need one that goes on top of the fuse box, like over it otherwise you are sol

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The "Open Front" of the heat shield allows more air in from the grill area right under the hood. There's no "Direct" air from the backside, so it makes sense to leave the front side open.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
hmm...sorry to bring this old topic up, but I have a Focus Central strut tower bar. I tried to install it without taking it off and it WON'T FIT. If I took the strut tower bar off and put the FIPK tube on, will it fit back together? Right now I have the stock tubing attached to the MAF sensor and the valve cover vent is going to nothing...

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Hmmm, I have a K&N FIPK, and I put a Ractive strut bar on(Ractive, do a little more R&D next time). The strut bar rode right on top of the heat shield, and ended up rubbing a notch into the heat shield, and wearing the rubber seal off.
Also, I just took my valve cover vent hose, and put one of those little filters on the end of a short hose, then plugged off the nipple on the intake pipe. I did this because I noticed a nice coating of oil down inside my intake runner, when I installed my TB. I'm not sure if hurt anything(the oil inside the intake runner). But, I just didn't like it, so I added the filter for the VC vent.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
I just went to an auto parts store. But, becuase it was in an APC(shudder) package, I would bet any AutoZone, or Pep Boys would have them.

Al

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Originally posted by NacronSE:
hmm...sorry to bring this old topic up, but I have a Focus Central strut tower bar. I tried to install it without taking it off and it WON'T FIT. If I took the strut tower bar off and put the FIPK tube on, will it fit back together? Right now I have the stock tubing attached to the MAF sensor and the valve cover vent is going to nothing...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Strange. I have FS bar, which is almost identical to the FC bar, and my FIPK went in real easy today. Pleanty of room.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Originally posted by EastAl:
I just went to an auto parts store. But, becuase it was in an APC(shudder) package, I would bet any AutoZone, or Pep Boys would have them.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Haha....I went to this place called Fast and Furious...ricer shop

Originally posted by Egz:
Strange. I have FS bar, which is almost identical to the FC bar, and my FIPK went in real easy today. Pleanty of room.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did you take the bar off before? The only thing is I don't want it to rub or anything. I tried putting it on without taking the strutbar off and it wouldn't slide over the throttle body.

[ 04-07-2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: NacronSE ]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OH WOW, you guys dug this up exactly 1 year after I posted it
I did get to see a FIPK on MichaelXi's car and liked it but I went with a Volant eventually.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts