Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up?

Well I just got in my Prothane Front control arm bushings from New Edge (Great service Tony D!! Thanks alot!).

You're the only one I know of that had their bushings installed and what not. At least the only 'active' poster who's had them put on.

Well, I was reading the short instructions and they seemed pretty wacky...suggesting the use of acetylene or propane torch to removed the bigger bushing!

I've never taken the control arms off either. I've taken a number of inspections but haven't been able to actually test fit the bolts in terms of sizing. Also, a few of the bolts look to be positioned in very narrow locations...seems like I won't be able to use any power tools...

Anyway, I was hoping maybe you could give me a few helpful tips on going about installing these things.

Thanks. Your help is MUCH appreciated!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Re: Calling MichaelXi...!

I'll post tomorrow, I'm Off to bed w/ my wife, and I JUST saw your post.

Tomorrow I'll have the friend who did MOST of the Work w/ me, and he can help w/ the Response.

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts

Part of me says this should be a PM. The other part of me says that this may be of interest to others working on their SUSPENSION.
Seeing as how no wheels, tires, or brakes are involved (other than removoal for the install) I'm going to punt this over to the suspension forum. I'm not sure if you've searched there, but I suspect at least some of this has already been covered there.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts

I Agree Charles.
Suspension.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Part of me says this should be a PM. The other part of me says that this may be of interest to others working on their SUSPENSION.
Seeing as how no wheels, tires, or brakes are involved (other than removoal for the install) I'm going to punt this over to the suspension forum. I'm not sure if you've searched there, but I suspect at least some of this has already been covered there.
Sorry about that.

I could have sworn I posted this in the suspension forum...

My mind must have already been sleeping
sorry again.

I did try a search for front control arm bushings/installs but nothing relevant came up. I didn't even see Egz's link.

Anyway, thanks for the link Egz.
Very good info. However, this thread is making me question my manhood. I dont think I can do this myself! For one, I don't have any type of torch of any sort! And it seems like the only way (unless you wanna go through hell) of removing the larger bushing would be to use a torch...so I'm not sure as to how to go about getting this installed.

Once the arms are off, I'll get the smaller bushings pressed out and the new ones pressed in. Just bring it to a local shop with a press. As for the larger bushing, if the shop can't help me out there (or help me out for a reasonable price), then I'm going to have to resort to the drilling the rubber as much as possible...(just "wiggle" or push it out after that?)

I tried Penguini's link but it seems ot have been deleted or lost or something (probably when FJ switched to new server or whatever).

Anyway, thanks so far. Any other info/input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, in removing the arms themselves, did you guys have to use hand tools? It looks to be too tight when getting to the larger bushing bolts with power tools.

Thanks again.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

When I did mine, all I had access to was a propane torch. Not hot enough! So, we ended up drilling as much as we can, then was able to slip the outer bracket off, then used a knife to cut the rest off. Heating it up with propane, then cutting helped at the end.

To get them off, we had to use a breaker bar and a pipe extension. However, I recently heard these are torque to yeild bolts, and need to be replaced. I need to double check that.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

When I did mine, all I had access to was a propane torch. Not hot enough! So, we ended up drilling as much as we can, then was able to slip the outer bracket off, then used a knife to cut the rest off. Heating it up with propane, then cutting helped at the end.

To get them off, we had to use a breaker bar and a pipe extension. However, I recently heard these are torque to yeild bolts, and need to be replaced. I need to double check that.
Yep: Torque to yield!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sorry guys. I know it's starting to seem like I'm beating a deadhorse now...but I appreciate all the info. I hope ya'll could bear my n00bness

About these torque-to-yield bolts...

I read Penguini's link up above and was looking at the torque sequence process. However, what's the equivalency rating for Nm's in terms of lbs/ft (i.e. - 100 Nm = ? lbs/ft)? I have a torque wrench but I'm not sure as to what the equal rating would be.

Also, I don't think I'd be able to use a torque wrench for the inner most control arm bracket bolt...seems WAY too tight. Any suggestions?

Are these bolts readily available at our nearest Ford dealership?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

For those guys that used the same used bolts rather than replacing them (the torqued-to-yield bolts)...

I got a price quote of 3.xx each for one of the bolts and 8.xx for the other (there were 2 bolts that are torque-to-yield).

Only thing is, each bolt comes in sets of four from the factory...so that's 4 (bolts) x 3.xx = approx. 16 bucks. The other bolt would be 8 (bolts) x 8.xx = approx. 32 or so. So I'm lookin at about 50 dollars for a set of 8 bolts in total. Personally I think that's disgustingly crazy.

I was thinking though, I only need 4 (2 for each side) so I was thinking...for those that didn't replace them, would you be interested in splitting the cost in half?

Thanks. Let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts