Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck's the deal with cam bearings? Before I bought my cams, I called ford to price seals and bearings and she quoted me $5/each x20 so $100 total. Then I decided to go without em, so I took out my old cams and was like "dude, where the heck are the cam bearings?" It appeared the cams just rode on the aluminum journals. Upon very close inspection, it looked as though one or two of them had a super small groove that looked like where a "clamshell" bearing was in there, but they were so close in color/texture I wasn't sure for sure. Anyways, all went well, car runs like a dream, but then the other day my friend was talking with a focus specific mechanic that said there aren't any cam bearings. What the heck? It appeared that if there are some, that a few of them are tapered in the middle like an hourglass shape. If this is the case, then why not sell bearings in a set rather than price/per? Confused. Who's the guru? Thanks in advance

g

·
Registered
34 Posts
there arent any cam bearings. the runs in the casting . the groove you see is machone into the head. I dont know for shure what the parts lady quoted you, maybe valve buckets but theres only 16 of them. You should check your valve clearances after you change cams. There are adjusted by installing different buckets

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The Zetec is like blue stripe said, however, the parts department was probably quoting you the price for the upper caps for the cam which in the Zetec is the bearing surface.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts