Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I want cam gears to add some more power to my 2001 Focus ZX3 Automatice, but there is so much to choose from? Is there really a big difference with all the cam gears out there? I mean we have AEM, Unorthodox, Focus Central, Kent (FocusSport), Esslinger,etc. I understand hat 5 bolt are better than three, so I'm not looking at the AEM, but what makes anyone better then the other? Is it weight? I know the Kent weigh less than the others, but how much of a difference could that make? Does it have to due with the degrees you can adjust them to? Any help is appricated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Ford Racing they are 5 bolt but the only way to have them tuned right is to have your car tuned on a dyno every car is tuned differntly!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
My $.02. Cam gears are cam gears. The more fasteners the better and the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the Fidanza actually, the cheapest I've seen. Only $189 at newedge (you da man Tony!)
and are five bolt. Just curious if there is any difference in all these cams out there, beside the amount of degrees you can adjust them and the price.

[ 01-12-2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: mcs7865 ]

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats up with camshafts, do I need two (ntake & exhaust) or go with just the intake camshaft (like the Esslinger)? I never actually understood why Esslinger makes only one for the intake, something about the exhaust cam makes no power. Am I right?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have another question about cam gears. I have an svt and i believe i can only replace the one of the cam gears, which one is this exhaust or intake? another question is do cam gears need to be adjusted to make power or do they make power because they are lighter as well? stupid question probably...thanks

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Originally posted by FOCUSO1:
i have another question about cam gears. I have an svt and i believe i can only replace the one of the cam gears, which one is this exhaust or intake? another question is do cam gears need to be adjusted to make power or do they make power because they are lighter as well? stupid question probably...thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To answer your first question, you can only replace the exhaust cam gear, the intake is variable. As for your second question, cam gears do need to be dyno tuned to get the best power out of them. I'm not sure if wieght has anything to do with this, but I would assume so from seeing the stock piece and comparing it to the Unorthodox Racing one I have yet to install. Maybe someone with more experience in this area can help you answer that part of your question better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts