Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure how this works, but is it possible to adjust the timing via the adj. cam gears to the point where a couple of the cylinders misfire? I have STR Pro gears on my Zetec, and I had them tuned. Then one day when I was on the way to the BMX track to go racing, my car stalled, and being a stick shift, I found it really odd. I couldn't restart it or anything. So after I finished my race(I placed 1st), I had my car towed to the Ford. Well they ran some tests, and they came up with misfire codes for cylinders 2 & 4, a lean code(which I had way before this problem), a PATS code(don't even ask me how, no other key has been in my ignition). Also they said when they looked at my engine, they had noticed the timing belt was loose, and that there was a possibility that the gears slipped on the cam shaft. My car will not start, and ford wants to charge me $475 to adjust the gears back to Zero on both cams just to run more tests on a baseline setup. They tried to feed my some BS, but I made it known to them that I had enough automotive knowledge, and not to try that shiat with me. Any help would be very much appreciated!!
-Patrick-

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
well if the belt slipped...being each rib on the belt is 9 degrees...i can understand, but if the adjustable cam gears went a few degree's in one direction doesn't really make sense to me,

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well if the bolts aren't tight, the cams could technically slip.

It happened to a couple people I believe.

I know I had to re-zero cheeziterrorist's cams after the person who put them on put them on loose and the slipped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts