Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks i would like to know how cam gears work, meaning what is their exact function and what does it involve when we change it for performance gears?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
217 Posts
deleted my post.
wrote something stupid, and immature.

[ 11-11-2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: CamsMach ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Adjustable Cam Gears work by either advancing or retarding the cam shaft it is attached to, either Intake, Exhaust, or both. While TDC (Top Dead Center) is spec, that may not be the optimal performance point, and adjustable cam gears allow you to dial in peak performance of the cams you are using (stock or otherwise). Using a Dyno of course. Can also assist in smoothing out idle upon installation of aftermarket cams (or even stockers as they may or may not idle smooth at TDC).

Mine are set @ -4 Intake / 0 Exhaust. I hope this helps you out blackbeard, and don't listen to the rantings of CamsMach, probably just a troll.

CamsMach
I know this car, and others very well, and feel that the majority of questions asked here are answered properly, granted if you did search prior to asking you would be able to obtain your answer...that is why a search function exists. Not a wise asss comment, only a prudent piece of advice.

[ 11-11-2002, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for trying to clear it up but i'm still kinda iffy on the whole subject. For example i saw on www.focussport.com that they sell a Kent Cam gear and on the dyno it seems to be a worth while invesment. But now you just told me that you need to adjust stuff. This is where i get lost. I though all you had to do is to install it and Voila! How would one go about adjusting this?

P.S. Didn't know trolls existed.... i'm going to lock my front door.

·
Registered
793 Posts
First off, on the P.S.
and lock'em up, they are real (at least according to my 5 year old).

Cam Gears are NOT install and voila. The FS dyno was a tuned dyno (as it states) with a retard (and I don't mean sitting on...) on both intake and exhaust cams. This will likely differ on all cars, as -4/-3 for me is horrible, with a noticeable power loss.

Cam Tuning is always best performed on a Dyno. Adjust the cam gear, pull (dyno run), result, repeat until peak output is gained, with what you would consider an acceptable idle. Granted this does cost, as you will need dyno time, and preferable someone who knows how to do it effectively (adjustments can be done by you however). OR you could "butt dyno"...make the adjustment, take a spin...did it feel faster, stronger, repeat.

I will mention that TDC on some Focus' is an improvement, as cam gears are installed within a tolerance at the factory (big surprise...), and output from car to car varies by up to ~15FWHP (105-120, although the 120FWHP stock would be RARE)

[ 11-05-2002, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts