Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all are my questions about pully's..
I heard that pully's (mainly aftermarket ones) suck out more energy out of your alternator and battery then stock ones do..which is sorta obvious because they do give your car more horses...but that's where the conflict is...Do I have to sacrifice the electrical proformance of my car for more horses?? Or is there a way to neutralize the two and get the best of both worlds??

Second, I noticed while looking for cam gears that they come from everything from +/- 10 degrees differentcial (Ford Motorsports) to +/- 23 degrees differentical (Focus Central)...Okay first of all what does the +/- degrees differential mean anyways?? What does it actually do to your car if you add or minus a degree or two?? Second, why is there such a big gap between the two cam gears?? Does that mean the Focus Central one gives me more options since it gives me more degrees to work with??

I know those are many questions, but I rather know my info before I buy anything...thanks!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
pullies dont suck energy out of ur alt, it just rotates the alt slower thus less output. as u can c on here. many have UDPs and have no issues at all. the choice is up 2 u on what u want more, performance or extra amps 4 system, game consoles etc.

the +/- settings on the cam sprockets is the reason y their called 'adjustable cam sprockets' u adjust 2 find the best settin power wise 4 ur motor while ur on a dyno gettin tuned. there's is no 'hot' setting, each car is different. u can get any set, really doesnt matter if it only has 10 or 20 deg settings b/c the changes 2 find the optimum setting r so minute.

however do the cam sprockets after u've done most of the bolt-ons u wanna do. then slap em on and get it all tuned. u very well might tune again if u get headwork/cams/FI etc. completely normal

good luck,

-Ult

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Pulleys: It doesn't matter unless you have an aftermarket stereo system and have a MASSIVE setup that draws a lot of power.

The Cam Gear debate:
More degree settings give you more tuning ability farther down the road.. most people don't need to tune +-23 degrees, but it's comforting to know that you have that option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts