Ford Focus Forum banner

Cam Install !EVERYONE MUST READ THIS POST!

2K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  artin 
#1 ·
ok first off it is almost 2 am here and i just got home From what wAs the worst And best install of my ife EVERONE MUST READ THIS POST SO THE SAME THING THAT HAPPEND TO ME DOSENT HAPPEN TO THEM

********** WHEN INSTALLING CAMS MAKE SURE THE ENGIN IS HOT!!!!!!!!

ONCE AGAIN WHEN INSTALLING CAMS MAKE SURE THE ENGIN IS HOT!!!!!

THE CAM GURDLE BOLTS WILL COME OFF MUCH MUCH MUCH EASIER!!!!!!

WE STRIPED 4 OF THE CAM BOLTS TRYING TO TAKE THEM OFF

THAT DIDANT WORK SO WE GOT THE MAKITA AND GOT TO DRILLING THE HEADS OF THE BOLTS OFF!!

VERY TIME CONSUMING
METAL SHAVINGS IN MY MOTOR ( ILE CHANGE OIL TOMARO MORning)

THIS WASENT BECASUE WE DID ANYTHING WRONG OR WE DIDANT KNOW WHAT WE WERE DOING THESE WERE PROS INSTALLING MY CAMS

FIRST OF MIKE (KINAKOBA) YOU ARE THE AN! I OWE YOU BIG TIME

TURBO JOE MORGAN WOW UR A LIFE SAVOR

JORDAN (JLATIMER) YOU ROCK!

CRANE 2 CAMS KICK ASSSSS

THY PULLLL LIKE HEL 4-6 TOUSAND RPM

WOZERS

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE!!!!!

*Edit on title so people know what they are clicking on*

[ 11-10-2002, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Ducman69 ]

See less See more
#2 ·
IT IS SO ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE WRITE N CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, you can still get your point accross without using caps!

Anyways, you talking about the cam keepers? The reverse hex bolts? I mean, they are only supposed to be tightened down at 19NM, so they should be hard to remove at all, I have done 5 Cam installs, with cold engines, and no problems?

#10 ·
He is YELLING! Caps are appropriate.

Correct me if I am wrong artin, but wouldn’t the metal expand when the engine is hot, making the bolt removal more difficult? Please explain why a warm engine would help.

I think that something unique to your engine (ie over-tightened from the factory?) caused your troubles. Or did you use the correct size star socket, I know that the sizes are close enough that you may think you have the correct size, but one size bigger is actually the correct size. I found this out when removing the studs for my header. I thought I had the right size, but when it started slipping on the head, I tried one size up and there was no play in the socket. (Damn ford for using star and torx, what the hell is wrong with a nice hex head?)

I am glad you got it working though, how does it idle?

[ 11-10-2002, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: BlueZTS ]

#13 ·
i was only yelling because i was allittle frusterated after that install!!!!!!!!!

but look we striped 4 of the bolts JOE MORGAN had 2 extra to get the other to we went to kinakobas car and took them off on a hot engin they came off like butter!!!!!!

look dont say my tools were wrong or that we didant know what we were doing

THESE WERE PROS WORKING ON MY CAR

I DONT THINK ANYBODY IN THESE BOARDS HAS MORE KNOWLEGE THAN TURBO JOE MORGAN

I WASENT BOSSING ANYBODY AROUND I WAS JUST TRYING TO GIVE ALL YOU GUYS A TIP

i guess you had to be there to see it man it was horrible~!

#14 ·
Originally posted by artin:
i was only yelling because i was allittle frusterated after that install!!!!!!!!!

but look we striped 4 of the bolts JOE MORGAN had 2 extra to get the other to we went to kinakobas car and took them off on a hot engin they came off like butter!!!!!!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, we "un-professionals" appreciat yore tipz!

#16 ·
Originally posted by noresull:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by artin:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, we "un-professionals" appreciat yore tipz!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YOUR WELCOME, LEARN FROM ME

#17 ·

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please don't flame the advice, using the star socket is truly the BEST way to do it. I have used the wrong socket before and have stripped them, but not one since I have been using the star socket. I was there earlier in the day and watched someone use the wrong socket to change cams. Heck, like I said, I have done that before too, no disrespect to anyone involved. I am also NOT saying that they did not use the correct socket on your car either, the tip to use the correct star socket was a good one.

#19 ·
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by noresull:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by artin:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, we "un-professionals" appreciat yore tipz!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">YOUR WELCOME, LEARN FROM ME
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i'd call that a big fly by. i think you missed the sarcasm.

Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.