Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that you should get new cam bolts when installing new cams> Where can i get cam bolts and what size? How much are they?

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
no you dont need new cam bolts, UNLESS you strip them

MAKE SURE YOU USE EXACTLY the right socket for it, make sure it fits snug

Other than that, you can reuse them, i have like 4 times

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have reused my cam bolts twice now....beleive it when you hear ya better use the right size....I grabbed the wrong torx bit when taking the 1st on off and stripped the **** out of it...needless to say it wasn't much fun getting it off.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Go to sears and get 2 stainless steel bolts with REAL heads on em
I paid $2.00 for both of mine, adjusting the cams is easy and I dont have to worry about stripping my $7 torx bit.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by AdvancedFocus:
I have reused my cam bolts twice now....beleive it when you hear ya better use the right size....I grabbed the wrong torx bit when taking the 1st on off and stripped the **** out of it...needless to say it wasn't much fun getting it off.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">haahahahaa..u have no idea

when i did tha, i ended u cutting the bolt down the middle, and taking it out with a big scredriver....it was horrible, horrible i tell u

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
my cap bolts came from the factory with one stripped and 1 looking close to it...i say pick some arp bolts

·
Registered
803 Posts
M10 x 1.50 1.25" Long, Class: 10.9 (hardened)

Pick up some nice big washers that fit the bolt tight (preferably hardened also). They only torque to 50lbf, not that bad.

On the cam cap bolts... dont' try to fudge it with an 8mm socket!!! Get the star sockets and don't mess them up!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Know of an ARP dealer in Florida. I f I can get them then what the hell. How should I reinstall the adj. cam gears? On zero when cams are installed how Focushacks tells you?I might have to go a whole before i can get the cams tuned on a dyno. OK, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts