Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm asking everyone who has the crane stage 2 and the crower stage 2 cams to give me their opinions. i will be getting cams and a set of fc cam gears for christmas and want some feed back as to which set to get.

what cams do you have?
how much power are you making with them?
what mods do you have?
if you have the crowers, did you notice a significant loss in low-end power?
if you have cranes and were given the chance, would you trade them for crower stage 2s to get the added top-end power?
if you have been to the .25 mile, what did you run?

a little later in the year (probably around feb-march) i'll be getting the fc stage 2 head so i'm looking for cams that will fit my needs. i autoX a lot and am planning some track time when i get to cali. i would like to keep as much low end tq as possible and still have a healthy top end. i do not want to rev past 7k. look at sig for current mods. thanks in advance!

edited to expand subject.

[ 12-10-2002, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: spike ]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know I cant be of much help with dyno numbers on the #2 grind..But I can say that I would expect (if i were you) at least 8-10 hp at the wheels (of course, with all major bolt ons, ie intake, exhaust header, exhaust, pulleys, etc)

Those #2 grinds have been hard to get ahold of lately..but..we do keep them in stock now. So, since your in Houston you should just drop by our shop. Or, we can mail em to ya if need be.

Cory Haines
Operations Manager @
www.modernperformance.com

Huge selection of Focus parts in stock, Knowledgable Focus salespeople, same day shipments! MP of course.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Got em, Love em, you couldn't talk me out of em if you tried. I installed a fc race header at the same time, but dyno'd at 139 and ran a 15.4 yesterday. Best money I've spent so far. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
591 Posts
dont spend your money on crane 2...i have them the TQ is great but up top it dosent pull that hard....SAVE YOUR $ and get crower 2 or crower 3 of you want to get hard core! they have awwwsome high end pulls

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
We'll I just put in the Crane 3'3 and they are sweet, They pull real hard all the way to redline 7200 with the Diablo Chip they are nice real nice A friend of mine has almost the same mods as I do except he has the crower 2s and he said that mine has more kick lower and his has more kick higher meaning mine have more tourqe but his have more Hp.

Bottom line CRANE 3s = AWESOME

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so far i have 1 person who would not trade his cranes for anything and another who says get the crowers. anyone else?

tymeks- have you and your friend ever raced at the track? if so, who won? by how much? what mods do you have? what are you putting down?

[ 12-10-2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: spike ]

·
Registered
727 Posts
how streetable are the crane 3's and crower 2's and 3's???

thanks,
tek.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After some extensive cam testing over the last couple of months, I seriously recomend the Cower Stage-1 cams for a stock head. These cams are excellent street cams and will make 145+ hp & tq at the wheels with a stock head and intake, properly set.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by FCTECH-WALTER:
After some extensive cam testing over the last couple of months, I seriously recomend the Cower Stage-1 cams for a stock head. These cams are excellent street cams and will make 145+ hp & tq at the wheels with a stock head and intake, properly set.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">considering your recommendation, i want to remind you that i will be visiting you guys at FC for a head in a few months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would do well with the Crower Stage-1 cams even with a ported head. They can stay with you past 160 wheel hp, and give good drivability.

Keep in mind, any stock based intake(ported or otherwise) is going to limit you to about 165-170 wheel hp.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by FCTECH-WALTER:
You would do well with the Crower Stage-1 cams even with a ported head. They can stay with you past 160 wheel hp, and give good drivability.

Keep in mind, any stock based intake(ported or otherwise) is going to limit you to about 165-170 wheel hp.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok, i have a few more questions. i'm not trying to bother you or am in any way doubting your exp. i just want to explore every option possible.

like i said earlier, i want to have as much low-end tq as possible while still having a healthy top-end. an engine that makes great power from 5-7k but is gutless at anything below that would be useless to me. basically, i don't want a honda.
now having said that, what are you're thoughts on the crane stage 3 intake/ stage 2 exhaust combo that was used on the "yellow bird" and discussed in
this thread?

this is exactly what i want (maybe a little bit more
). what do you think could be done with a little more compression? how do you think these would work on the stock head for the short time before i get the head from you? is there any way to buy this cam combo without having to purchase two sets of cams (the wife would kill me).

all info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump- anyone else have anything to say?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have crane stage 2's and although they are great, I would go with a crane stage 3 or crower stage 2's. Atleast with crane 2's they are drop in and go's.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My buddy just got the Crower stage 2's installed. He also has iceman intake, UDP, and Diablosport chip as far as engine mods go. Idle has a barely perceptible lope. Power delivery below 4,000 is very similar to before the install - above 4,000 it pulls like crazy all the way to the 7,200 limiter, and would probably keep going hard beyond that. He hasn't had it on a dyno, but from a butt dyno perspective, I would say that these cams added more power than all the other mods put together. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have Crower Stage 2's and I love them. I have had them when I is was totally N/A and now with a turbo. As for losing low end, depends on how you tune the adjustable cam gears. But most of your power is going to be high up. They rev really fast and really smooth after 4K. And since you have the high flow cat you will make some good hp gains with the stage 2's.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by hatchblack:
My buddy just got the Crower stage 2's installed. He also has iceman intake, UDP, and Diablosport chip as far as engine mods go. Idle has a barely perceptible lope. Power delivery below 4,000 is very similar to before the install - above 4,000 it pulls like crazy all the way to the 7,200 limiter, and would probably keep going hard beyond that. He hasn't had it on a dyno, but from a butt dyno perspective, I would say that these cams added more power than all the other mods put together. Well worth the money.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so you didn't notice much loss in the low-end?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Crower Stage-1 cams are actually on par with what was used in the graph you posted. Crower Stage-2 cams consist of a Stage-1 intake cam with a larger exhaust cam. I've found the intake cams seem to limit the power more than the exhaust, and this is why I would recomend Crower Stage-1 with a stock or ported head intended for daily street use. The next step is really up to Crower Stage-3 (the next step up in intake cam size) with a ported head. Unfortunately, Crower Stage-3 cams will not work without clearancing the head, and changing the valvesprings, or I might try them sometime.

Let me give you some background on a good Crower Stage-1 combination before I continue:
'02 Focus Wagon Zetec 5-spd, Generic Cold Air, 70mm Pro-M MAF, FC 65mm TB, Stock intake manifold opened up for the TB, Stock head, Crower Stage-1 cams, FC Cam gears, FC pulley kit, FC Race header, stock flexpipe, and Bosal cat-back.

Low end torque is far superior to stock, with a peak of 153 and strong average numbers. Peak power was 151. Of important note, I stopped adjusting the cam gears at this point to maintain good idle quality, and balance torque and power. Cam gears for I/E set +6/-4. I would have liked to taken the cam gears a little farther, but this is an everyday kid hauler. There is another 7-10 available at peak, but it will sacrifice torque, idle quality and overall drivability.

I hope to have new numbers from the same car with a ported intake soon. I expect gains in torque, power, and that the engine should make power a little higher also. When I'm there I will also take the cam gears a little farther to find their absolute limits.

My point to all this is that you have to be willing to compromise at some point, but that may be for the better. You will not see significant enough gains from the Crower Stage-2 cams to justify the loss in low end torque and idle quality over the Stage-1 grinds if you will drive the car around town every day while you still have the stock head. When you switch to the ported head, Stage-2 is only a larger exhaust cam, which would net you slightly more top-end, but at the expense of low-end. Either will work well with our ported heads though.

[ 12-10-2002, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: FCTECH-WALTER ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts