Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford Focus SVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 2-Door SVT from a previous owner who was a Ford Engineer. He had done over 13k in modifications to the car however I trust his work because he is a family friend.

I’ve had the car for a month and have no major issues. I have had two smaller issues though. Randomly the car likes to stall, not sure if it’s the cold weather or just a poor tune but at high revs if i pull the clutch or even at low revs it will stall. Another, I’m getting horrible gas mileage, this car should be getting 27ish mpg when i’m getting 16.

With that in mind, the other day after driving my car to and from work for a few weeks, the car would not start and I was left stranded. After towing the car to a mechanic he let it sit for 3-4 days and got in it and it started fine. He’s an idiot, said he checked everything and it was good. I drove it home and about 3 hours later when I went to start jt again, it died. I checked all my plugs, they were all clean but soaked in fuel, i hear my fuel pump running, it cranks fine, but it sounds like timing is way way off. How would I know if that’s the CAM position sensor or CRANK position sensor. the CrankPS seems much easier to replace so i will try that first but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me get this car back on the road any quicker.

·
I
13,460 Posts
Will it not restart at all now? If it won't restart now, and it sounds like timing is off... pull the timing cover and check the timing belt. Jumped timing will make for a no start and will sound weird/crank fast, also taking valves with it.

No crank signal will cause no spark. Are you seeing tach signal with a scan tool?

·
Registered
2004 Ford Focus SVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 2-Door SVT from a previous owner who was a Ford Engineer. He had done over 13k in modifications to the car however I trust his work because he is a family friend.

I’ve had the car for a month and have no major issues. I have had two smaller issues though. Randomly the car likes to stall, not sure if it’s the cold weather or just a poor tune but at high revs if i pull the clutch or even at low revs it will stall. Another, I’m getting horrible gas mileage, this car should be getting 27ish mpg when i’m getting 16.

With that in mind, the other day after driving my car to and from work for a few weeks, the car would not start and I was left stranded. After towing the car to a mechanic he let it sit for 3-4 days and got in it and it started fine. He’s an idiot, said he checked everything and it was good. I drove it home and about 3 hours later when I went to start jt again, it died. I checked all my plugs, they were all clean but soaked in fuel, i hear my fuel pump running, it cranks fine, but it sounds like timing is way way off. How would I know if that’s the CAM position sensor or CRANK position sensor. the CrankPS seems much easier to replace so i will try that first but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me get this car back on the road any quicker.
I figured it all out. I assumed it was the crank or cam sensor because my timing was incredibly off. Turns out, the sprocket on the cam had spun and torn the belt but not completely snapped it. Cost me a solid 1k to get it all figured out and I'm still having tons of related issues from it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I figured it all out. I assumed it was the crank or cam sensor because my timing was incredibly off. Turns out, the sprocket on the cam had spun and torn the belt but not completely snapped it. Cost me a solid 1k to get it all figured out and I'm still having tons of related issues from it.
If the can sprocket slipped, you probably have bent valves now.:cry:

·
Registered
2004 Ford Focus SVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
X2 on the belt valves. You could try a comp test but it may just do more damage. If you are sure the timing was way out and it's not running at all/right with timing fixed, pull the head.
Somehow the valves are not bent. The car ran well for a few days then I replaced the valve cover gasket just from minor leaks. Since then I've gotten the P1318 code and the car stopped running. This prompt me to replace my cam sensor as well. After replacing the cam sensor, it still will not start but sounds like its really really trying to. Any chance it could be the VVT solenoid?

·
I
13,460 Posts
Somehow the valves are not bent. The car ran well for a few days then I replaced the valve cover gasket just from minor leaks. Since then I've gotten the P1318 code and the car stopped running. This prompt me to replace my cam sensor as well. After replacing the cam sensor, it still will not start but sounds like its really really trying to. Any chance it could be the VVT solenoid?
Just to clarify, P1381 or P1318?

P1381 is intake cam over advanced and confirms timing is out (usually not the solenoid). Usually comes up after a timing belt install if the VCT wasn't set correctly. I am not sure what P1318 is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.